SS quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahshaw

Reaction score
I have searched the forums, but the only really relevent threads were from around 2009. I want to get a feel for what the current thinking on quick disconnects are. Kal's setup looks really easy to use. However it is a bit pricey, not to mention the restricted flow concernse that Bobby_M has brought up in his [ame="http://youtu.be/j7VQQ1bxvTw"]video[/ame]. Bobby's cam lock setup on his site looks much cheaper, but I don't know how easy it is to use. People who are doing it this way: is it easy? Are you glad you did it this way instead of with the more beer quick disconnects? Also, the right angle does look to make it easier to handle, but I have read some discussions on right angles, particularly next to the pump, adding significant flow resistance. With just one hose with 2 right angles and a total head of about 3ft is this really something to worry about? Pushing through a counter flow chiller seems like the only time I would really have to worry, but in that case I am not looking for a particularly high flow rate. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the topic.

I've been extremely pleased with camlocks. Brewhardware.com, bargainfittings.com, and proflowdynamics.com all have good product at good prices. All three are highly recommended.

I don't have a 90 bend in the tube, and many people put the silicon tubing directly in the threads to increase flow and less parts.

Cam-locks are much less expensive but clumsy and large. I prefer the size of the quick disconnects and ease of use, but our customer prefer the cost savings.
Restriction is not really an issue. You will have plenty of flow through your CFC and brewers often throttle the flow anyway.

I've had the brass version of the ball lock/sleeve lock style and obviously the camlocks and I'll never go back or recommend anything else. You can't beat the durability, price, free flow, and ease of use all at the same time.

After lots of research, including Bobby's videos, I went with the cam lock fittings and 90's at each end of the tubing and I really like them. I find them pretty easy to use and clean, no tubing kinks and no flow problems. For the $$ I don't think you can beat them.

Thanks for the great opinions. Bobby and JonW, I sort of feel like I am talking to celebrities since I have spent hours drooling over both your rigs.

I brew with two of my brothers-in-law, and I can't think of a time when I would ever really need to make a quick change. Right now we are using the non heat resistant vinyl tubing jammed onto a barb, (the same one for collecting runoff and for bottling) so anything will be a major improvement. I think I like the cams, so I will give them a try.

How should I keep the hoses clean? I'll be adding a pump and counter flow chiller to my setup at the same time, so I am thinking the best thing would be to pump warm oxiclean through them all, is this what others are generally doing?

Back