Any Canon DSLR users around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I occasionally use, at a very modest level, a 20D and or a Digital Rebel we have in our department where I work.

I occasionally use, at a very modest level, a 20D and or a Digital Rebel we have in our department where I work.

I guess I should post up what I have... Current setup is:
Body: 1Ds Mark III
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L USM II
24-70mm f/2.8L USM
70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro
Flash: SpeedLite 580 EX II
Manfroto magnesium fiber tripod, gear head.
Polarizing filters for all lenses and other associated goodies, including a square filter adapter/holder with ND filters. :D

I also have some Pelikan cases to hold almost everything (the 300mm lens came with it's own hard case.

I managed to migrate from my original (used) 10D camera body all the way to what I have now. Started the process about 7-8 years ago. I even have a set of hot lights, backgrounds and support system for the backgrounds (can go up to 12' wide). Basically, I can quickly set up to be a small photo studio at home.

Golddiggie said:
Checking to see if any HBT members have/use Canon digital SLR cameras... :D

Nope, Nikon user here.

I have run training courses though where all the delegates had canon gear so I know my way round them.

Maybe it's me, but I don't get hung up on what you shoot with, just what you shoot. Lets face it none of the manufacturers make a bad DSLR or CSC these days and the strengths and weaknesses brand to brand are becoming blurred.

I'm subscribed just to see which HBT members are passionate about viewing their lives through an f1.4 optic ;-)

I've just been a Canon guy for too long to jump to another make. Most of the time I use the 24-70mm lens. With all f/2.8L glass, I can't blame the equipment for any 'bad shots'... :D Especially with the camera body I have. Since I have zero desire to do video, I'll probably be using this one until it sheets the bed, and cannot be repaired. :D

Checking to see if any HBT members have/use Canon digital SLR cameras... :D

Nope.

Sony Alpha, Minolta A and MD mount, and Zeiss/Ikon ZM mount.

I'm jonesing for an RZ67 to run both 120/220 backs and digital backs. Been playing with a borrowed hassy but I'd like to invest.

I've got a bunch of canon cameras and gear. Old Elan 7E, 20D, 550D, a 70-200 f/2.8L and handful of other lenses, a few flashes, tripods, yada yada.

Hopefully picking up a 5DMKIII and a 24-70mm II in the next week or two.

Golddiggie said:
I've just been a Canon guy for too long to jump to another make. Most of the time I use the 24-70mm lens. With all f/2.8L glass, I can't blame the equipment for any 'bad shots'... :D Especially with the camera body I have. Since I have zero desire to do video, I'll probably be using this one until it sheets the bed, and cannot be repaired. :D

We all get trapped in the brand because of how much gear we have. I'd have to negotiate one hell of a trade in or look to find between £15 and £20k to make the swap. Eek.

TBH the only reason I went with what I have was when I decided to go digital I tried the offerings from everyone on the market at the time and based my decision on nothing more than which body felt more intuitive to me. I needed to be able to navigate my way round the thing without getting the manual out and the Nikon was slightly ahead. It was as if the engineers were in my head when they laid out the menus. No other reason. I'm often asked "I want a dslr which one is best?" And I always answer "Whicher you like the most"

As we all know the 6" behind the viewfinder is far more important than the 2" between the lens and the eye.

We all get trapped in the brand because of how much gear we have. I'd have to negotiate one hell of a trade in or look to find between £15 and £20k to make the swap. Eek.

TBH the only reason I went with what I have was when I decided to go digital I tried the offerings from everyone on the market at the time and based my decision on nothing more than which body felt more intuitive to me. I needed to be able to navigate my way round the thing without getting the manual out and the Nikon was slightly ahead. It was as if the engineers were in my head when they laid out the menus. No other reason. I'm often asked "I want a dslr which one is best?" And I always answer "Whicher you like the most"

As we all know the 6" behind the viewfinder is far more important than the 2" between the lens and the eye.

Unfortunately, in too many cases, the 6" behind the viewfinder is a complete void. :eek: For those people PnS cameras are the only real option.

Being more tech savvy, the Canon bodies were no issue. Plus, I only looked through the manual for a few minutes, when I first get a body in order to see what new features it has, and think about when I'll use them. After 1-2 times, I pretty much remember what to do. :D

I'm updating my servers here at home. When I'm done, and my gallery site is back online, I'll send you the link... :D

t2i here but I have to stop being so cheap and start buying some glass. I've got the nifty50 but that's almost crackerjack.

IMO/IME, it really pays to get great glass. I've changed bodies enough times, but once I started getting the L class lenses, I've not needed to change a single one. Cheap glass is ok if you're going someplace where it could get damaged, or stolen. But otherwise, pay the extra $$ and get great glass. Consider it a one time purchase. I think my first L class lens was the 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (would have to check to see if it's the II or not). Incredible difference over other lenses.

Can't echo the sentiment about investing in glass, a 50mm 1.8 at 125 bucks is about the best deal in the business. I'm also a Canon guy (5d Mark II, 1D Mark III, 5d, 30d).

Was out shooting a running event this morning in -10f this morning. What a way to start the new year. Brrrrrrrr.

cd01

Also a Nikon user here (D3100). I was very tempted by the T2i as it and the D3100 were the latest entry level cameras available from their respective manufacturers. In my, at the time, limited knowledge of camera specs I felt the D3100 was the best bang for my buck.

I've got the T4i with the 18-135STM, Nifty Fifty and a Tamron 28-300VC. Had the XSi for years and recently upgraded in September. I don't shoot often enough to justify the high cost of good glass.

I've got the T4i with the 18-135STM, Nifty Fifty and a Tamron 28-300VC. Had the XSi for years and recently upgraded in September. I don't shoot often enough to justify the high cost of good glass.

While I don't go out taking pictures as much as I would like (most of the time), I do appreciate what the great glass does for me. I've used cheaper glass and wasn't really pleased with the results. Take the same shot with a cheap lens (or budget lens) and then with one of the f/2.8L (or faster) lenses and you'll see what I mean. I won't go with anything slower than a f/2.8L lens anymore. If it's not available in a focal length, then I'll rethink getting that lens. Luckily, I have a wide enough range covered that it's not an issue. :D

5DmkII, been a Canon DSLR user since they were available :D

5D classic and a nifty fifty for now. Got a nice Manfrotto carbon tripod and I'm looking for a flash right now. Fun hobby but damn I think it can hurt the wallet even more than homebrewing.

I've got a T1i, with only the stock 18-55 (or whatever) cheapie zoom. One of these days I intend to get a nice lens, but I don't have time to do enough photography to justify the expense.

What I've got was good enough to get this shot, though...

ovro40m_night_small.jpg

That is nice

I set a goal to get a good pic of the ISS flying over, Gives me something to do a couple days a month.

I like to shoot storms and weather, but unfortunately, the past year was terrible for storm chasing and it was quite uneventful. But it's always nice to try to catch some lightning.

6075038063_41347e857d_z.jpg

6075576776_853c499f79_z.jpg

7737634142_62f0a65e62_z.jpg

5663249990_a6efd670c9_z.jpg

We purchased a Nikon D5100 for Christmas. Was a tough decision between the T3i and the 5100. The year end sales was what made our final decision. Still figuring out how to use it. Will be getting new glass for the wife Valentines day.

Started with the Rebel when they first came out, then 40D,7D and just picked up a 6D last month. I sold my 70-200 II IS L to fund my RIMS system. I miss that lens so much :( If I didn't have so much invested in glass I would have switched to Nikon instead of the 6D.

I have a 24-70 2.8 L that is fantastic on my 6D, but have a major rear focusing issue on my 7D. I sent it to canon and they agreed, but they didn't fix it :-\

We purchased a Nikon D5100 for Christmas. Was a tough decision between the T3i and the 5100. The year end sales was what made our final decision. Still figuring out how to use it. Will be getting new glass for the wife Valentines day.

I got my wife a Nixon D5100 for Christmas as she wanted to get more into photography and it was a good place to start. The quality of pics she is getting is so much better than the point and shoots stuff, and she is taking a class to improve her picture taking. Very nice camera, very easy to use.

Currently rocking the t3i. I need to stop buying all these monk beers and invest in more quality lenses!

Yeah, you can brew a beer that will cost less. You cannot make your own lenses. :D

BTW, for the nikon people... :p I guess they don't see the "Canon" in the thread title. I really don't care about other camera manufacturers, or those with others. This is about CANON DSLR owners. If you want to start a thread about the other makes, go knock yourself out. :p :D

Back