No more AG for me :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She just got home and asked me to get a box out of the car, guess what it was.... 24 Grolsh empties... Guess that's an apology or a thank you for the massage. Now to get some fresh gaskets and clean the crap out of them.

That's a good sign. Maybe she was just on edge that day.

That's a good sign. Maybe she was just on edge that day.

I asked why and she answered "do I need a reason?" so I'll let it be. Maybe she'll get another massage and I'll get a keg :) She's the one who goes to get my grains, but that was the first time she smelled the wort. I'll just be respectful and wait til she's out and make sure all the windows are open, until I get the fryer.

Should I soak the bottles in bleach then use the pink bottle sanitizer or just do the bottle blaster and sanitize?

Gerald

I think theres a lot of confusion about the "Man Card" It all comes down to who you let define it. I COMPLETELY agree that it is assinine to tell them how it is, demand your independence and call that your "man card".

A real man knows what to do,and he knows when to do it. He knows when he should bend, and when he should stand firm. He knows what battles to fight, and when to surrender. Had the OP informed us earlier of the context of his wifes demand, then he would have gotten a different response right off the bat, not 50 replies later.

I have had this discussion so many times I cant even remember. It sounds cliche but there really is no "Me and Mine" idea in marriage. That what my initial point was. For one part of the team to demand their way is a disservice to the team, and to another human being. Love asks for its way, and then if it doesnt get it, it still loves. A healthy marriage is one where on partner ENJOYS serving the other. If it's done any other way, it's only slavery.

So as to the "Man Card" issue with the OP, if he decided, because it's best, to lay down his brewing hobby for a greater good, than he used his man card rightly because thats what a real man would do. If he lets a bunch of strangers on the internet judge and push him around than he hasn't chosen to use his man card right by fighting for the truth. If he gives out the relevant facts in a roundabout way, than he isnt using his man card at all.

This thread would have definitley gone far different if we would have know all of the circumstances surrounding the demand.

OP: I salute you for your selfless sacrifice of something you enjoy for the well-being of your MIL. I dont know if I could respond with as much compassion honestly. I also hope that you learn to communicate with strangers in such a way that your wife doesnt sound like an raving B@#$H, and you dont sound like a beaten dog...PAX

gclay said:
She just got home and asked me to get a box out of the car, guess what it was.... 24 Grolsh empties... Guess that's an apology or a thank you for the massage. Now to get some fresh gaskets and clean the crap out of them.

Did she say " hey d bag, i found some crap layin on the side of the road, get it the eff outta my car or youre sleepin with the dog again"?

You know, sometimes we act like ********; husband and wife. Thats why I never stay pissed at my wife. We know each other and when we flip out, we understand it is an isolated event it is just a bad day.

I asked why and she answered "do I need a reason?" so I'll let it be. Maybe she'll get another massage and I'll get a keg :) She's the one who goes to get my grains, but that was the first time she smelled the wort. I'll just be respectful and wait til she's out and make sure all the windows are open, until I get the fryer.

Should I soak the bottles in bleach then use the pink bottle sanitizer or just do the bottle blaster and sanitize?

Gerald

If they are new, then no need to do anything but rinse and sanitize. If they had beer, I'd give them a hot soak in oxiclean for a few hours, then rinse well and spritz with star san sanitizer before putting away.

Yeah, my wife likes the smell of the mash well enough (says it almost smells like bread being made -well it IS all grain :D) but dislikes the boil with a passion. She doesn't like any alcoholic drink (especially not beer) but it was SHE who suggested I build an AG rig and brew OUTSIDE from then on. And tolerated my well-over-budget project. Doesn't give me any hassle at all about brewing (outside). She is good.

Sounds like your wife respects you and wants you to enjoy your hobby and you did the right thing. Maybe some of the guys getting "rough" with you on here helped her see how other guys would take it and she probably loves you even more for how you handled it. For the record I never thought you were less of a man just thought you should not give up on what you enjoy without trying other options.

And congrats on the swing tops. That is sickkkkk.

mancard.jpg

Seriously though, are you brewing outside or in? She won't let you brew outdoors?

ha, yeah im not married at all, but seriously tell her this is your hobby, and explain how the smell is not just not bad but a wonderful sign of a glorious beer to come

Have dogs? Make cookies out of the spent grain. My dogs drool like crazy of them. This is a win.

Have garden or flowers? Compost the barley in your flowerbeds or compost pile. It improves the quality of anything you grow. This is a win.

Brew outside. If you are doing this already, your wife is just complaining. She should get over it. If she can't deal with the smell even when you're outside, it is her turn to compromise since you already have.

Gerald

Really glad I read through this whole thread - read like a good book, complete with happy ending! Good luck on future brews!

:mug:

What the <beep> is tha t<beep>ing smell
My beer
Wtf you have 25 gallons you just brewed this month
yeah, but they're all different
who cares, no more until that 's done
<tucking tail between legs> yes dear.

Off to finish 25 gallons of beer...
How did you all miss this tidbit?? Sounds like a challenge! :mug::drunk:

Sounds like you've got it under control.. brewing outside is way better anyways. I'd never move my operation back indoors (unless it was in an actual brewery or brew shack). I'm in a much warmer climate though, year round outdoor brewing is easy.

dido - turn it into a reason to upgrade. ex: The fiancée helped me bottle two weekends ago. Her response was, "You've done this HOW many times?! This is awful, you should keg your beer."

Win-Win.

Lol I smelt like a 200lb Amarillo hop the night I went to bed after brewing my first batch, but luckily I've refined my wifes tastes buds of good beer and was forgiven!

Back