CO2 leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
So.... if I shut the tank off and the gauges are showing 650 psi for the tank and 8 psi to the kegs, should these readings drop at all?
I've been kegging for a year and a half now and it's always dropped to zero after a while .... both gauges.
Since having a conversation with a friend lately and seeing how he has more kegs in the fridge than I do, I was shocked that his tank lasts way more than mine? And he goes through way more beer than I do.
So I checked with soapy water and yup, a very slight leak at the regulator where the gasline fitting to the fridge connects to the regulator.
I noticed there was a little Loctite sort of compound on the threading but very little.
I put some teflon tape on there and solved my leak.

So going back to the question, shutting the valve off.... should the pressure stay for a day or two (or for good) or does the dissolving gas somehow drop the pressure (which I doubt)? If in fact it shouldn't drop, then this would be an indication of a leak... right?

as long as the tank is open and there are no other leaks the pressure in the keg should stay the same. if you close and/or disconnect the tank the CO2 will dissolve into the beer and lower the pressure in the keg.

as long as the tank is open and there are no other leaks the pressure in the keg should stay the same. if you close and/or disconnect the tank the CO2 will dissolve into the beer and lower the pressure in the keg.

Thanks for the reply.
I understand it will drop but what if the beers are carbed?
Ya this is a loaded question that depends on if you have a new uncarbed keg on there. I'm just pissed off that I never checked this leak since buying a new system and it could have been leaking for 1 1/2 years! :drunk:

if the beer is fully carbed then no new CO2 will dissolve into the beer. but the pressure may vary a few PSI depending on the temperature.

Back