Freezer to keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojito65

Reaction score
I want to start by thanking the HBT community for all the inspiration and brilliant ideas provided here. Without them I would not have been able to take the leap into kegging!

Now for my build...this will be a long multi-verison build (lack of time and limited $$$).

Keezer v. 1.0 (low tech)
GE 7cu.ft. freezer
Ranco temp controller
1 keg/picnic tap

Keezer v. 1.5
4 kegs/picnic taps (total)
gas manifold - 4 connections
additional regulator (this will allow flexibility as the build approaches v. 2.0)

Keezer v. 2.0
I plan to have a dual-hinged design so the lid and the collar are independent of each other. This will allow me to convert this back to a freezer (if needed).

This may be overkill so I welcome your opinions and advise...

8"-10" collar
5 kegs (total - 4 on the floor/1 on the hump)
additional gas manifold - 2 connections
5 perlick faucets
love temp controller on the collar (looks cool - maybe moved to v. 2.5)

Version 1.0 is close to complete. Will be posting images over the weekend (time permitting).

Sorry for rambling...this is my first post on the forum.

Cheers!!!

sounds like a winnah! I'd go ahead and skip to version 2.0 tho.. there won't be any bugs.. never are..

Yeah I had the same mindset as you, I got four kegs with picnic taps running first. Then I went right ahead to planning my final coffin version, and its been about 5 months in the planning, so I am glad I did the picnic tap version to hold me over.

I'm just getting my 7.0cf GE on the 27th. I'm thinking close to the same as you, however the lid is undecided. Instead of the Love controller, I'm going with the ebay aquarium dual stage controller. Hoping to build that for under 40 bucks. I'm also thinking maxing mine with 3 maybe 4 taps. That too is undecided. Need pics on where you're at. I love seeing this stuff for more ideas of my own...especially with the same freezer. GO GO PICS!

Finally got a few minutes...here are some pics.

Base:

386.jpg

384.jpg

385.jpg

Here are a few more...

Temp controller/First kegged batch:

Not to side track this thread but, halfway through racking into the keg I realized the large o-ring on the lid had stuck to the rim and fell in. Luckily I had a spare. I don't think it should hurt the beer but just thought I'd ask.

388.jpg

389.jpg

390.jpg

391.jpg

Here are a few more...
Not to side track this thread but, halfway through racking into the keg I realized the large o-ring on the lid had stuck to the rim and fell in. Luckily I had a spare. I don't think it should hurt the beer but just thought I'd ask.

Probably ok as most of the o-ring isn't exposed to air.

If it happened to me, I think I would have tried to fish it out using a plastic kitchen spoon, after sanitizing it in Star San. The issue is that even that might not be long enough to reach to the bottom, and it is probably not a good idea to stick your hand in there (even after putting your hand in Star San for a minute or two).

I bought the same freezer and so I am interested in your build.

I also bought (waiting for) the ebay aquarium digital controller. One thing I am curious about is if I build it into the collar, is it prone to issues with cold and/or condensation if it is sticking back into the cold space via the collar. Should I insulate it (on the cold side)?

I also bought (waiting for) the ebay aquarium digital controller. One thing I am curious about is if I build it into the collar, is it prone to issues with cold and/or condensation if it is sticking back into the cold space via the collar. Should I insulate it (on the cold side)?

I don't think you will have an issue with the digital controller. As to insulating the inside of the collar, I would.

I plan to build my collar over the holidays (thanks Biking_Brewer for his inspiration).

It will be a double collar. The inside collar will use 1 x 10s and will sized to match the freezer's dimensions. The outside collar will use 1 x 12s and wrap around the first collar with a two inch overhang. There will be an insulation layer as well.

This should slip right onto the freezer and fit snugly. My design will slightly differ from Biking_Brewer's because the rear panel will be 1 x 10 with no overhang, and eventually accommodate double hinges. The top and collar will open independently of each other.

I will post picture as soon as I can.

Dont worry about the other rubber oring. I did the same on a batch I served at the UGA/GT game. We drank 75% of it, then i brought the remaining 25% home, drank it slowly over a month. No ill effects, in fact i almost poured it down the garbage disposal because I forgot about it (like i do with the stir bars that make it into the carboys).

I just did a similar keezer build a few months ago. Went the GE 7cf, dual hinge lid, 8" collar, love controller route. I got the love controller and second set of hinges off of eBay (separate buys). I'll post a link to my build tonight for reference if it may help.

As promised, here's a link to my build.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/swmbo-not-home-build-keezer-274765/

I got the Love controller for $47 shipped and I think the second set of hinges was around $30 shipped. The hinges were kind of a pain to find. Home Depot, Sears, and Lowes appliance parts websites all have them listed but they are either pretty expensive (~$20 a piece) or were not in stock. FYI - even though the description on those sites may say "Hinges" it's only 1 hinge. I called and asked. I found the best price for them on eBay.

Still looking for hinges...

Should be getting the drip tray this weekend.

Here is the keezer in it current state of construction (unfortunately the kegs are empty until next weekend).

Beer Stuff 034.jpg

Beer Stuff 035.jpg

Beer Stuff 031.jpg

Beer Stuff 032.jpg

Latest posts

Back