Ginger Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
There's a local stout-only homebrew competition for a local brewpub coming up and I'm trying to come up with a different (and good) stout recipe. I'm thinking a ginger stout might do the trick. Perhaps a pale-chocolate heavy stout to go for the ginger-chocolate flavor? Any thoughts on how much ginger to use (I'll likely use fresh), and when to add it? Or if you think it'll work at all? I noticed a recipe over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ginger-oatmeal-stout-178911/ which gives a decent starting point, but I'd love to hear some other thoughts on the idea.

I've only used ginger in a very pale ale, but you might be able to make it work with a stout. I brewed a version of this.

I used a LOT of freshly cut ginger root. And I used it through out the boil and fermentation. If you like, I could dig out my exact notes.

Anyway, there is a lot of ginger flavor (and there used to be a lot of heat, but that mellowed).

And hey, if it doesn't work, oh well! Try again. After all, it is only homebrewing. :)

Sounds good to me, I might add some nutmeg and cinnamon though and call it a gingerbread stout. Caldera Brewing in Ashland Oregon (Rogue's original brewery) has a really nice ginger infused beer but it is on the lighter side and if I remember correctly, has some honey as well. I think the nutmeg and cinnamon might help the ginger blend better with the roastiness of the darker malts.

Back