My Goose Isn't Cooked........Yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Hey all you gourmets out there, anybody care to share a good way to cook a goose? My mother was cleaning out her freezer awhile ago and brought me a goose. I've only eaten wild goose that I've shot myself, and wild goose is horrid. I hope domesticated goose is better! But I've never had it and have no idea how to cook it. Do you prepare it like a turkey???

Cant say that I have ever had domesticated goose, only Canada geese Ive hunted myself as well. But on that note I really enjoy wild goose and duck, normally I will soak the breasts in milk for some time to get that strong game flavor out, cut them into fingers and cook them in a skillet with butter, garlic and sliced portabellas.

As far as the domesticated goose goes, maybe try turkey fryerizing it?

Well, let me see...

If it were me, I would brine the goose before baking it just like a turkey.

Take a very clean 5 gal bucket and add about 2 or 3 gallons of cold h2o. To the water add a half cup of salt and a 1/2 cup of sugar, a handful of whole peppercorns, a few bay leaves, and as many cloves of garlic ( smashed ) as you have available. You can also add any other herbs or spices you have and enjoy as well. Rosemary might be a nice addition.

Make sure the salt and sugar dissolve in the water and add the goose. Add a bunch of ice to the bucket and put it in your spare fridge for at least 24 hours. It helps to take a large jug or some other container you can fill with water and put on top of the bird as a weight to keep it under the water.

Don't have a spare fridge? Well, I have kept a turkey in the bucket, covered in ice with an electronic thermometer set to 35 degrees in a cool room in my house. The thermometer had an alarm so I could add more ice if the temp rose above 35 degrees. I have not had any issues with spoiling or sickness from the turkeys I have done this way so far.

The bird will absorb some moisture and flavors from the brine solution. Just let it drip dry on a oven rack over your sink for about 15 minutes before you bake or fry it as normal.

Thanks, Cakehole! I'll give it a try!

Do I have a spare fridge????? Hmmm, does a homebrewer have a spare fridge??? I think I might be able to locate one. Or two. No wait- three.;)

Thanks again!

Yeah roast that sucker whole. Might as well. I have never had a Goose, always been meaning to try...but availability is the big factor. I have eaten so many things that are really strange, but not Goose which is sort of common but not eaten here much so I guess you could say it's uncommon??? :D

Whole Roasted Goose with Port reduction
Grilled Asparagus
Wild Rice Pancakes topped with Sour Cream and Chive garnish
Saison

Dessert...that's a tough one.

I've always wanted to try a goose. I generally think about it at Christmas time, the 'Christmas goose' tradition, but since I've never had it I don't want to have it for Christmas dinner and have it suck and end up going out for Chinese food. Then I for get about it till the following Christmas. The other problem is I wouldn't even know where to find a goose.

I've always wanted to try a goose. I generally think about it at Christmas time, the 'Christmas goose' tradition, but since I've never had it I don't want to have it for Christmas dinner and have it suck and end up going out for Chinese food. Then I for get about it till the following Christmas. The other problem is I wouldn't even know where to find a goose.

Hey I'd try Goose sometime if i could find a place to buy it and some people to help me eat it!

Just go to your local grocer. If they don't have it, ask in the meat department; they can get it. You're more likely to see them around Thanksgiving and Christmas. During the holidays we used to expand our frozen poultry section to include turkeys, ducks, geese, cornish hens, Muscovy ducks, all kinds of stuff.

Back