cyser time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
Was going to use this recipie to make a one gallon batch

3 gallons of pasteurized apple juice
6 lbs honey
3 sticks of cinnamon
3 oz of fresh ginger
yeast

First is there any conciderations in picking honeys? I guess any will do.

Second, people say you want to shake the cider and honey together to mix them. Will this not introduce oxygen and possible foreign material. I have always been to the mindset of slow, steady and minimal air mixture.

third, for the spices. do i want to steep and entire stick of cinnamon? and the ginger will be non sliced just in root form? and these sit thru the entire primary fermentation?

And lastly for a slightly sweeter cyser do i want to use a potent champaign yeast and ferment it dry?

Thanks,
Dan

The recipe looks fine.
You need oxygen at the very beginning. It helps to make the yeast divide faster, before they start producing carbon dioxide.

Sweet and Dry are opposites. The sweeter it is, the less dry. If you want something sweet, I suggest you use Lalvin D-47. If you want something dry, find a dry champaign yeast.

I don't know- I'm a little confused. Three gallons of apple juice will be three gallons, not one gallon. That looks more like a 4 gallon batch.

I think that's way too much ginger and cinnamon- you might want some flavor, but that much may be out of place. I'd go much slower with the spices, and add them later on if more is needed. That much ginger and cinnamon may make the cyser taste like those Red Hots candies.

That much ginger and cinnamon may make the cyser taste like those Red Hots candies.

I Agree with yooper! I added one oz of Ginger to a 3 gallon Peach mead, and it is about 4x what I was after. It's JUST ginger. The Cinnamon will fade a little as time passes, but I still would cut WAY back.
and if you put 6# of honey in 1 gallon of Juice, I'm gonna say you'll probably NEVER get it to ferment! You will have an og over 1.200!

I think I know what you're after? It seems like you are after something that will warm your bones in the dead of winter! Make a nice plane cyser, and add extra cinnamon and ginger to the cup, as far as the extra alcohol...I've never tasted a nice warm cup of holiday cider that didn't benefit from a shot of Bourbon!

correct the recipie is for a three gallon batch. I will cut it in thirds.

I am doing the cyser just to see what it is. Hence the one gallon experimental batch

Back