Coopers European lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing my first beer, I purchased the Euro lager kit not knowing lager was more of a PITA than an ale to start with. I made two batches because the kit made 6 gallons. A 5 gallon in a carboy and a 1 gallon in a glass jug. Here are a few of my questions.
1. 5 gallon brew was put into primary on 3/10/2010 OG of 1.040 pitched supplied yeast at 69 degree wort temp. Noticed extremely slow fermentation has a small scum ring, on 4/3/2010 it is still bubbling the airlock every 15 seconds and i can visually see movement in the carboy. did a gravity check and it was at 1.020. I then added 9 grams of saflager s-23 thinking that my original yeast is not performing well. my carboy temp has been 55 degrees the beer looks cloudy. and tasted sweetish.

2. my one gallon experiment I used 2.5grams of saflager s-23 pitched at 57 degrees and it has been kept in the fridge at 39 degrees since 3/10/2010 it now has a gravity of 1.028 and is see through clear, also tastes like beer.

Some opinions on what I should do would be appreciated. The are both are still in there primary fermentors and have not been racked yet.
Thanks in advance.

I see this is an older post... how are things going?

I have made 2 or these kits, the first one, I didn't have "Cooper's Brew Enhancer" available but did have Munton's, so I made it, but didn't know the difference in brewing at Lager temps, it brewed up pretty good but had an estery taste as it was brewed at room temps. However, this was Septemeber I think and now, the brew is AWESOME!, I still have about 20 left.

The second batch, I used two cans of malt and no added sugars, brewed it at an ambient temp of about 57-60F and kegged it, I won't be cracking the keg for at least another month but the warm, flat brew going in tasted excellent. Very much worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back