Should I freeze hops I plan to use w/in 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a TON of supplies yesterday and my boston lager kit has 2 oz hops with it. I won't get around two brewing it until the end of the month or so. Should I freeze the hops? Right now they're sitting in their airtight bags in my basement in the 50°s. I apologize for being anal.

Please advise.

Either way. You don't need to for such a short storage period but you might as well. Especially if its just a couple ounces.

Could be up to a month, will freeze. Thanks folks. Also, how long do they need to defrost once brew day approaches.

Is there a difference to preserving the hops if you keep them in the fridge but not in the freezer?

Not if you use them in a month. I guess I think this is a silly question because one month out of the freezer will not make a difference

They don't really freeze since there's no moisture in them so they don't need any time to defrost.

Back