sierra nevada celebration clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradfordmon

Reaction score
Moving into secondary the instructions told me to crush the remaining hop pellets and add to the bottom of the secondary as I fill. Are the hops going to settle or am I going to have to skim the top when I bottle?

Crushed or not the pellets will eventually separate and sink to the bottom. Some may remain on top, but if you have a racking cane, you can very easily pull your beer out from between the layers.

If you can cold crash it for a few days. That will cause the hops to drop out and help clear your beer. Then carefully rack off the top of the trub.

Don't have room in the fridge. I think I will have to research this more before I attempt. Thank you. Most of the dry hop has settled down with a little residual in the top edges. Day 6 in secondary

10 days and the pellets will have dropped. You might want to gently nudge the fermenter to help some of them drop. Surface tension can keep a few bits on the surface.

I've never had a problem with pellets. They drop, they settle. When you rack, you might get a couple of flakes into the bottling bucket. These will end up in the last bottle filled. Mark that bottle, and open it first.

Put a sanitized paint strainer bag over the submerged tip of your auto-siphon. They're cheap, and it will help keep you from sucking up a lot of hop matter.

Back