Rauchbier is yummy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just drank my first Rauchbier - an Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier - Marzen variety. I have an Urbock variety sitting in the fridge for another day. Picked both up at the local packie (Yankee Spirits).

Wow, was it smokey. And very very good. It went perfect with the slow roasted brisket I made for dinner. I can definitely see drinking this during BBQs in the summer. I may just need to brew myself up a small batch of this stuff.

If you like smokey foods and beverages (i.e. Islay scotch, Lapsang souchong tea), you'll like this.

I've had the Marzen and Urbock for the first time in the last two months. They're awesome. I'm definitely going to be brewing up a classic rauchbier.

I prefer the Marzen, myself. I think the dry maltiness goes better with the smoke. I've heard many people prefer the Urbock, though.

Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock is the best rauchbier in the world, hands down.
a great beerhall near me has it. when i eat there, I have an Aecht Schlenkerla to finish off the night

My experiences with smoked beers is limited, I think I've only tried a couple, and used some racuhmalt sparingly.

But this thread got me thinking https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/peat-smoked-beer-lagavulin-esque-161568/

Are all smoked beers dark? Are there any commercial smoked beers out there that are pale in color and light in body, with just a hint of smoke?

I'm thinking about this guys Lagavulin-esque desire, and wondering what a pale with a hint of smoke would be like. Anyone know of any like that?

My experiences with smoked beers is limited, I think I've only tried a couple, and used some racuhmalt sparingly.

But this thread got me thinking https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/peat-smoked-beer-lagavulin-esque-161568/

Are all smoked beers dark? Are there any commercial smoked beers out there that are pale in color and light in body, with just a hint of smoke?

I'm thinking about this guys Lagavulin-esque desire, and wondering what a pale with a hint of smoke would be like. Anyone know of any like that?

I don't have any other experience with smoked beers, but I think a touch of smoked malt would work well in a lighter colored beer. IIRC, the Schlenkerla isn't TOO dark - 16 SRM or so?

I don't have any other experience with smoked beers, but I think a touch of smoked malt would work well in a lighter colored beer. IIRC, the Schlenkerla isn't TOO dark - 16 SRM or so?

Is this the stuff?

aecht_schlenkerla_rauchbier_urbock.jpg

It still looks pretty dark....I did just stumble onto this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/grodziskie-polish-smoked-wheat-beer-161540/

That sounds interesting. I wonder how light it is.

I think I might try to whip up a 2.5 gallon smash pale ale with a hint of smoke (so not technically a smash) and see what I can come up with....which may mean I have to pick up some smokey scotch fro research purposes only. :D

My first experience with Aecht Schlenkerla's Marzen wasn't too good. I got through half a bottle. It tasted like pork beer. Since then, I've become fond a smoked porters and VERY fond of Islay Wisky. I may have to give it another shot.

I am interested to see how the scotch-esque beer turns out. I've always thought peat doesn't belong in beer either, but I'm becoming very fond of it.

I loove me some rauchbier. I like their the Schlenkela Marzen better, but the Urbock is delicious too.

I have a recipe for a killer one that I am dieing for someone else to try. Need's to be lagered. Cherry Beech Smokebeer... <-- see my recipe dropdown.

Revvy----DON"T USE PEATED MALT. It might be good for scotch, but not for beer IMHO.

Like just about anything available to homebrewers, I'd hate to limit what people put in their beers. If an attempt is made to mimic some of the flavors of a nice Islay Scotch, then I say use the peat-smoked malt - with a light hand of course. For chrissakes, people put pumpkins in their beer. A little peat-smoked malt has its place too (just not in a Scottish Ale).

I came across an article on the net about Aecht Schlenkerla's Marzen. It was reported the grain bill was just Rauchmalt and a percent or two of Carafa Special to get the color. That's just too simple.

Latest posts

Back