Using Rauchbier for marinating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
I may not have had a very good example, but as soon as I tasted the Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen rauchbier, all I could think of was bacon. Too much bacon (if there is such a thing). My friends and I couldn't finish the tasters we had, and we're fairly openminded when it comes to beer.

However, it got me thinking. What if this was used to marinate a pork loin? Obviously I've made pork loin wrapped in bacon before (more to keep it moist than to really impart smokiness), but this beer made me think of bacon in a bottle. I live in an apartment, so actually smoking something is out of the question, but marinating for a day in this beer might have a similar effect. Anyone tried this before? How did it turn out?

I can usually only take rauch in 2-3oz increments only. I popped the Shlenkerla last night and actually drank the full liter. Granted, it was a bit much at first and I'm more of a smoked porter guy, but it's growing on me. I can imagine it would be pretty good in a crock pot of pork loin along with the requisite apple cider vinegar.

I had it in a cheese fondue at a beer club dinner.

You could tell the ones that liked it....... we were mopping the pot with bread :rockin:

Back