Primary Fermentation Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brewing a duvel clone for the first time and used mainly belgian pilsner malt and WLP570 yeast.

It has been cold fermenting at 69 deg for about 9 days now and the carboy is still cloudy. I was planning on racking to secondary in another 3 to 4 days at a colder temp of 50 deg.

My questions is should I wait for the beer to clear in the primary before racking to the secondary? If so, how long does it take for the beer to clear? Thanks.

You're fine, it takes a while for yeast to drop from solution. There is no reason to put it in a secondary. Let it hang out in the primary for another 3-6 weeks, whatever floats your boat, but give it a good month at least for the yeast to clean up its byproducts, if it hasn't cleared by then cold crash it at 30 for a couple days, then bottle.

Transfer if you want, there will be plenty of yeast left to 'clear up'. If your gravity is fine then start dropping the temperature until it clears. If you don't need your primary for a while may as well leave it there for a little longer. If you're aging it for a while (in a glass container) then go for that, a little activity would help drive oxygen out the headspace.

Thanks guys for your quick reply. I think I'll just chill and not panic until it clears as you suggested. Appreciate your input!

Back