Need help with my first real "Problem" Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Brewed a 5.5 gal batch of Ed's Haus Pale Ale Recipe is 8 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs Vienna, .5 lb crystal 10. 1 oz cascade (60) .5 oz cascade (30) .25 oz cascade (15) .25 cascade (5). I used 5.2 ph stabilizer and Whirflock as normal. OG was 1.057. Pitched pack of Nottingham dry.
This was my 3rd all grain. My first stuck mash/sparge. After two and a half days, there was no sign of fermentation at all, even by gravity reading. I know about the 72 hour rule, but figured 60 hours was long enough to wait. I rehydrated an additional pack of nottingham as per instructions on pack, and pitched.
By the next day it was fermenting nicely. Fermentation temp never went above 68* spent most time at 66*. After a week and a half, I checked gravity and it was down to 1.016. At that time I could smell some sulfury smells, but have smelled that in other fermentations. In another week I kegged the beer, and smelled the sulfer still a bit. After sitting on co2 for 12 days, on Saturday I pulled my first testing pint. It was disgusting! Tasted and smelled like rotten eggs. It was nice and cold, and carbed well but the after taste and aroma are horrible!
Is this my first ruined beer? Will time heel this also? Is this Autolysis?
I can only fit 2 kegs in my kegerator, and have an india brown that is ready to keg/bottle. I don't want this sulfur bomb taking up space in the fride if it will not be drinkable!
Any help or input is welcomed!

If it still smells and taste like rotten eggs three weeks after the fermentation stopped, you have a bacterial infection.

My first infection. Visually, it didn't look any different. I already am reusing the primary bucket that I used for this one. It smells ok so far. Do I need to **** can that bucket? And all of my hoses and siphon? I usualy clean everything with oxyclean free, and sanitize with star san.

It could even have happen when you took your gravity readings. It's hard to say. I wouldn't just start chunkin' stuff.
My first was two back to back batches. They weren't gushers, but they just foamed like crazy. They tasted fine. I reused the yeast for both batches so I did some wrong with the first batch. I'm still not sure what caused it. I used all the same equipment for the next few batches with no problem.
If your next batch is fine, you're good to go. If not (knock on wood) then you can start try to find the problem piece of equipment. It would have to be something on the cold side before fermentation.

Back