Kolsch Fermentation Process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeF

Reaction score
I've got a Kolsch fermenting at 60F. I usually leave beer in the primary for 3+ weeks but would like to put kegs back in the garage fridge I'm using for said fermentation.

Should I wait until fermentation is almost done (~75%) and move to closet for diacetyl rest for a week? Then place back in fridge where I can drop then temp for kegs and lagering?

I'm missing something, are you primarying in a keg, or planning to use it for secondarying and lagering?

But either way, in a keg or carboy, what you suggest is what I would do....

:mug:

Primary is in a carboy. I've got kegs that are ready to be tapped but only one fridge for my beer making/dispensing. Thanks for the reply.:mug:

I ran my last kolsch style brew in the upper 50s for 14 days, 1 day @ room temp then laggered it another 2 weeks in the fridge @ 34/36.

what about moving your primary into some cheap box like the SOF?
Edit: or any other ghetto swamp cooler arrangement?

Should I wait until fermentation is almost done (~75%) and move to closet for diacetyl rest for a week?

I've never ready any literature that says a Kolsch would benefit from a diacetyl rest. Remember, it's fermenting at pretty much ale temps and an extended fermentation should really clean up any off flavors. The lagering is really to drop out the yeast as a clarifying method from what I can gather.

I've never ready any literature that says a Kolsch would benefit from a diacetyl rest. Remember, it's fermenting at pretty much ale temps and an extended fermentation should really clean up any off flavors. The lagering is really to drop out the yeast as a clarifying method from what I can gather.

I agree. I have not heard any reports that Kolsch yeast are big diacetyl producers. But, for every beer, taste it. If it has a noticeable diacetyl taste or aroma let it warm up a bit.

I fermented my Kolsch at around 70*, then racked to secondary and left it for a month at the same temperature. But traditionally, I'm told, a Kolsch is lagered in secondary. Nothing about diacetyl rests. I did give my non-lagered Kolsch to some friends who studied abroad in Cologne, and one of them claimed she almost cried because it tasted just like the authentic Kolsch she always drank over there. So I would say either way would be good :mug:

I do not have a lager place so I put mine in my cellar which is at 46F for a couple of weeks in secondary

Back