Yeast Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on yeast nutrients was. I started the batch four days ago in the primary fermentation is slowing, I didn't add any nutrients up front... does it make sense that to add them now?

If you pitch the right amount, fg should be hit in 3 days (may still bubble for weeks afterwards) if it's a normal strength beer.

Yeast get all the nutrients they need from malt and water. Maybe need zinc if going through generations, but that's not likey to be a problem.

Yup, malt has a ton of nutrients, unlike wine must, apple juice, or honey, so nutrients aren't necessary. When you're stressing the yeast, you may want to add some just for caution. I have two pounds of bakers yeast that makes terrible bread, so I toss a tablespoon into all my high gravity brews during the boil. Yeast love to eat yeast bits.

The only time to ever add nutrients (to beer- wine and mead are different stories) is during the boil to sanitize it. You're perfectly fine.

I started using the wyeast product a few batches back. It's cheap and I've had very healthy fermentations. Might have been okay without it, but for 2 bucks, it puts my mind at ease.

Back