fresh/wet hops help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
hoping to have time to brew within the next few weeks, and would like to make an ipa with my fresh hops. I am using promash and am unable to figure out the conversion for using wet hops. recipe as it sits is this

11lb pils malt

.5 oz centennial 60 min
.5 oz centennial 50 min
.5 oz centennial 40 min
1 oz centennial 10 min

ibu 62.5

If i am using wet hops do i need to actuall have
2 oz centennial 60 min
2 oz centennial 50 min
2 oz centennial 40 min
4 oz centennial 10 min?
is that right or am i way off?

For wethops, you need about 6 times the weight of dried hops. It's really hard to estimate the AAUs, though. So I've always used known hops (commercial) for bittering, and my home grown for aroma/flavor/dryhopping.

Your recipe is pretty sucky, though, so don't use any more recipes from that source! You don't want hops at 60,50,40 minutes. Those are all bittering hops and won't provide any flavor or aroma, just bitterness. I'd get rid of that recipe and find a good recipe with a good hops schedule. That's nothing like a good IPA. A bit of caramel or amber or victory malt would be good to provide interest and a firm malt backbone, and hops should be more like 60, 15, 10, 5, 0 and dryhopping.

lol I made that recipe. Just threw those Times and grain bill in there for example. I figured my homegrowns at the lowest scale for centennial(around 9%). So I was close in my math went 4:1. It will take like 1-2 lbs of wet hops for a decent wet hop ipa right?

60, 15, 10, 5, 0 and dryhopping

You can't go wrong with the above, in addition read the late hopping info on mrmalty.com

Latest posts

Back