Not so clear beer upon bottling/kegging. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
My beer is an IPA and currently looks really really cloudy.. I used clarity ferm and irish moss.

I am 1 or 2 days from kegging, currently cold crashing. What can be done at this stage?

i have this problem all the time, I always want to rush to keg and drink, so I end up drinking cloudy beer. if you wait a week or two it will clear out.

what to do?

1) wait. team will allow the beer to clear.

2) accept that if you dry-hop, getting a perfectly clear beer can be a challenge. dry-hopping will make a beer cloudier.

You can add some gelatin while crash cooling. It will drop most of the yeast in a day or 2.

Let it cold crash a week at about 35*F. Give the process time to happen.

I disagree that gelatin will remove hop flavor or aroma. I have used it many different times and to be honest I think you loose more flavor and aroma waiting for it to clear.
Use gelatin after the beer is already cold (35-45 degrees roughly). Then leave for 24-48 hours. That produces very clear beer.

I also disagree that gelatin removes hop aroma. I cold crash with gelatin with almost every batch...most of which are hoppy beers. Waiting it out will cause more loss in hop aroma IMO

I disagree that gelatin will remove hop flavor or aroma. I have used it many different times and to be honest I think you loose more flavor and aroma waiting for it to clear.
Use gelatin after the beer is already cold (35-45 degrees roughly). Then leave for 24-48 hours. That produces very clear beer.

I also disagree that gelatin removes hop aroma. I cold crash with gelatin with almost every batch...most of which are hoppy beers. Waiting it out will cause more loss in hop aroma IMO

If you add gelatin to almost all your batches how would you know? Try a batch without gelatin and report back. It is common practice to add more hops to the recipe if you're going to be using gelatin.

If you add gelatin to almost all your batches how would you know? Try a batch without gelatin and report back. It is common practice to add more hops to the recipe if you're going to be using gelatin.

I think he said almost all of his batches. Almost.

Whose common practice?

Google gelatin with IPAs and you will see several threads about the topic on several different forums. It is a debatable topic (like using a secondary is necessary or not) mostly comes down to personal preference. As long as your palate thinks the beer you're making is good it doesn't really matter.

sweetcell said:
what to do?

1) wait. team will allow the beer to clear.

2) accept that if you dry-hop, getting a perfectly clear beer can be a challenge. dry-hopping will make a beer cloudier.

I've been following the heady topper cloning thread. Consensus is that the best flavor is when the yeast and hop oils are still suspended.

So it depends on what you're making, but #2 from sweetcell isn't a bad option if you don't want to add extra finings.

It will clear in the keg eventually (after you've drank all the yeast :))

My beer is a topper clone. I am still debating about the gelatin things.

Brewguyver: why are you saying yeast will be drank first? Is it common with kegging?

Here is a pic of it in my kegerator. Arggg. I wonder if the original Heady is not just as cloudy tough. Any Vermonters?

image.jpg

beauvafr said:
My beer is a topper clone. I am still debating about the gelatin things.

Brewguyver: why are you saying yeast will be drank first? Is it common with kegging?

Heavier stuff will drop to the bottom in the keg, and you'll pull it off first. There was a similar thread recently about a saison that lost the saison flavor and had become clear after a month. Turns out when he stirred it back up a bit and resuspended the remaining yeast, it went back to a saison flavor and look.

Wrong. I have brewed both with and without and don't notice any hop aroma difference....which is why I said I NOW brew almost all my batches with. I even CC a IIIPA with gelatin for a week last summer when I didn't have time to keg. It works for me and if you want to wait days / weeks for it to clears you will most definitely be losing aroma in that time period, no debate on that.

Merry Xmas

^^ the Merry Xmas at the end made me laugh.

From what I understand you only lose flavour/aroma if you had too much. 1/2 tsp in 5 gallons seems to be the conservative dose recommended by most

if you want to wait days / weeks for it to clears you will most definitely be losing aroma in that time period, no debate on that.
If you need to wait more that 48 hours for it to clear with a cold crash, you're doing it wrong.

I've tried gelatin and didn't like how it stripped the aroma. I got a better beer without it. Definitely makes sense to use on non-hoppy beers, but I'll never use it again on an APA/IPA.

Back