Cleaning New Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointlessbrew

Reaction score
I was able to track down three kegs over the weekend and get the tops cut off of all three. I've now moved on to cleaning all of the label gunk off of the outside of each keg so I can start to polish them.

Has anyone tried using a 4-1/2" Stripping Disc? I have one from Pearl Abrasive, just not sure if its going to be too aggressive and remove more metal than necessary.

I was able to track down three kegs over the weekend and get the tops cut off of all three. I've now moved on to cleaning all of the label gunk off of the outside of each keg so I can start to polish them.

Has anyone tried using a 4-1/2" Stripping Disc? I have one from Pearl Abrasive, just not sure if its going to be too aggressive and remove more metal than necessary.

I have not tried those, but used the ones listed in this high recommended thread:

"polishing your keg" is more than a clever euphemism

I've read through that thread and will most likely end up going that route. Just curious if anyone's had any luck with this wheel.

I've read through that thread and will most likely end up going that route. Just curious if anyone's had any luck with this wheel.

I had some labels on mine that were on there pretty good.

I used a razor blade to scrape them of, then used acetone on a rag to remove any adhesive residue.

If I tried using the discs to remove the residue, it would just get the area black initially until that residue is gone!

I used to work in a body shop and we used a product made by 3M it was adhesive remover. You can find it at autoparts stores and it worked great to get the labels and old adhesive off my keggels. After I removed all the old adhesive I used a wire wheel chucked up in my drill and went over the kegs to clean them up. After that I used a product called bar keepers friend to scrub them down with a Scotch brute pad. Everything worked great and I had all three kegs cleaned up spottless in one night. They are ready for polishing but I'm waiting till the brew stand is built.

I've cleaned them up pretty good with 60g paper on an orbital sander. I'm gonna use a couple wheels I picked up from work and see what kind of luck I have. If its successful I'll post some pics.

Here's a little before and after. For less than an hours worth of work, I'm pretty happy with the results. I used a surface conditioning disc to remove most of the gunk off and then used a surface prep disc to smooth everything out. I then went over it with 1000g, 1500g & 2000g paper.

image-1921835569.jpg

image-3724796685.jpg

Back