Funny looking yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
So I've harvested yeast/washed yeast quite a few times before, usually mixing RO water with it, then letting it settle & decanting etc..

The last couple of cakes I've poured off, and haven't mixed with water, have separated.. First was NeoBrittania, and now a US05 cake.. Here is a photo

aC3vgV

Should I just scoop off the top and leave the trub behind, or mix it up with water as usual ??

Thanks for the help as always !

So I've harvested yeast/washed yeast quite a few times before, usually mixing RO water with it, then letting it settle & decanting etc..

The last couple of cakes I've poured off, and haven't mixed with water, have separated.. First was NeoBrittania, and now a US05 cake.. Here is a photo

aC3vgV

Should I just scoop off the top and leave the trub behind, or mix it up with water as usual ??

Thanks for the help as always !

I can't see the photo, but I keep slurry from almost every batch in mason jars, and know how it tends to separate. I decant most of the liquid right before use, and leave an ounce or two in the jar so I can shake the living hell out of it before pitching, and get as much out of it as I can.

Seems to work okay for me, and the flavor transfer from an ounce or two of beer on top of your jarred yeast cake is negligible to nonexistent.

Back