Winter brewing shots!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody I'd like to start a winter brewing photo thread showing how devoted some of us are to this hobby.Please share your winter brew-day photos.

I brewed a centennial Blonde today and it was -20C outside up here in Newfoundland Canada but everything turned out good. Pretty sure it took a half tank of propane to get the boil done tho....but on the upside my spider and chiller can both fit in my brew kettle at the same time...lol

Jamie.

Hats off to you! This is why I went electric. I bet your chill went pretty fast at -20C!!! My favorite part is that your neighbor across the street looks like they're giving you the "your crazy" stare.

Hats off to you! This is why I went electric. I bet your chill went pretty fast at -20C!!! My favorite part is that your neighbor across the street looks like they're giving you the "your crazy" stare.

Yeah I actually chilled inside cause the hose connection outside was froze!!

As for the neighbor I bet she said to herself whats the nut job doing over there now !!! Crazy homebrewer...lol

earlier today

20150211_181400.jpg

Jacob wasn't talking about her.

Au contraire, mon frère; I was!... with those boots and blond hair, she ought to be the scandinavian beer model on the bottles of mc's cherry wheat ... and in that cute floppy ear hat thing on the floor next to her too.

(edit - ok strike the floppy ear hat idea ... on second look maybe the thing on the floor is a grocery bag.)

My other half would never sit in the garage in the cold, having a beer and keeping me company while brewing (or anything else) ... way too roughing it for her. She passionately hates the cold and is practically a teetotaler; though she will on rare occasion drink a small glass of cider.
<sigh>

Au contraire, mon frère; I was!... with those boots and blond hair, she ought to be the scandinavian beer model on the bottles of mc's cherry wheat ... and in that cute floppy ear hat thing on the floor next to her too.

You were onto something until you suggested she put a bag on her head.

How rude. :p

Is that your fermenter? Just curious as to why transfer before chilled?

Yes, it is my fermenter. I strained hot wort to it and added cold top-off water, but it needed a few more degrees to cool to pitching. That was in the pre-REAL-wort chiller era.

He was 8' tall & weighed 2,000 pounds and when he walked it was a sha sha shakin of the ground.......the thurdy point buck .... ( BUUUUURRRRPPPPP).......lmao

FYI, burying your fermenter/kettle in snow will actually make it cool slower. The snow makes for a pretty good insulator and will hold the heat in quite effectively.

Yup burying the kettle isn't effective but having an endless supply of free cooling water for my ice bath is nice.

FYI, burying your fermenter/kettle in snow will actually make it cool slower. The snow makes for a pretty good insulator and will hold the heat in quite effectively.

I couldn't agree more! Lesson learned about 8 years ago in an early morning brewing session. The snow would melt around my kettle and the small void along with the snow made a terrific insulator!

2967-earlymorning-12318.jpg

2967-alternatewortchiller-12319.jpg

Back