First time kegged last night, and now for the questions. :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasted678

Reaction score
Ok. So I kegged up 5 gallons of an English Brown Ale last night. First time kegging so I was pretty psyched. Everything seemed to be going well buuut I think that I may have a leak. I have 2 questions to give to the forums.

**I have a KegConnection Kit with a 5# CO2 tank.**

photo.jpg

This is my regulator setup as of this morning.. about 7AM. When I first hooked everything up I had a pressure reading on the far left regulator of 750-800. It is now down to 500 about 11 hours later.

My Questions:

1) Did I even start with a full tank? Anyone with a KegConnection Regulator know where a full 5# CO2 tank should read out? I had 750-800. Seems low... And my LHS where I got it filled did have a little difficulty filling it, but I asked and they assured me it had a full charge.

2) Is this time frame of CO2 consumption normal? It seems like it dropped really quickly to me. But I am assuming that you use the most CO2 up front right when you begin carbing. I just thought I should get more out of a 5# tank, like 8 kegs or so...

**I did use the soapy water trick and I could not find any leaks. The only thing I didn't check was the actual keg so I may do that tonight. I put in the new O-Rings with lube right before kegging last night so they should all be good seals. I'm really hoping that it is not some micro leak that is going to be difficult showing himself.

I may get home from work tonight and it be completely empty... but until then I hope for the best! What do you guys think?

**Update**

SWMBO is at home and just checked my gauge and it is holding at the exact same spot as my picture from this morning. So that pretty much rules out leak... So do you guys think I just didn't get a full tank?

Thanks!!

Pressure has always change dw/ my system dependent on temperature, the pressure may have gone down by being in the fridge. Mine always sits near the "order gas" level, I don't have that specific regulator but do see the same behavior. If the pressure has gone down more its possible you have a leak, but it could be on a keg seal too, so make sure you check kegs as well.

Looks like from your photo you have it in your kezzer/kegerator. The colder temperature will always result in lower readings on your gauges, I had the same concerns when I got started, but if they haven't moved since the original drop you can rest easy. My 5lb is on it's 7th keg and still holding strong.

Yea you can't use that gauge if your putting your tank in the fridge. you can always weigh it if you want a real measurement

The high pressure guage is essentially worthless. It will change depending on the temperature of the tank. It will also stay constant, assuming the temp does not change, until it is essentially empty. When the gas runs out, the guage will drop quickly.

The only real way to know how much gas is left is to weigh the tank. It you know what it weighs empty & full, you can then determine what is left in the tank by weighing it right now.

It is in my fridge!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely makes sense with the lower temperatures. As of right now it is holding strong so I am sure there is not a leak so that is good.

:mug:

Late to the party again! I can't seem to figure out how to sort my search results to give me the most recent first. so, I am hoping this catches somone's eye that knows...

Is the high pressure guage necessary to the function of the regulator? I ask because my 5# tank sits on the hump in my keezer and I always have to twist the thing around upside down so the lid will close. I might get luckier if I didn't have the high pressure guage to deal with. and as stated, that guage is worthless.

thanks!

Late to the party again! I can't seem to figure out how to sort my search results to give me the most recent first. so, I am hoping this catches somone's eye that knows...

Is the high pressure guage necessary to the function of the regulator? I ask because my 5# tank sits on the hump in my keezer and I always have to twist the thing around upside down so the lid will close. I might get luckier if I didn't have the high pressure guage to deal with. and as stated, that guage is worthless.

thanks!
I would say no. I have a couple sets of regulators, one has the hp gauge, one doesn't. I have used both of them with no problems. I like the on with so I can monitor how much gas I have in the tank short of picking it up and seeing how it feels. If you take it off just make sure what you thread in the hole is well sealed. I keep an spray bottle with dish soap and water around to check for leaks.
( I happened on this post as I kegged a batch a couple days ago and always curious as to what other people do when they keg.)

thanks!

No, it's not necessary. I have two regulators that came without the high pressure regulator.

It's also not worthless....

The way the system works is this: there is liquid CO2 in the tank. There is also headspace in which high pressure gaseous CO2 is present. The high pressure gauge gives you a look at what that pressure is. If you're in a refrigerator it'll read lower, outside higher. Typically for me, outside is 750-800 psi, in the fridge down much lower (around 500 or so). That's just normal.

That number on the gauge, assuming you keep the tank in the same place, won't change UNTIL the liquid CO2 is completely vaporized (into the headspace), at which time the high-pressure gauge will start dropping. This is your indication that you are very low on CO2, and it's time to refill or have a replacement handy.

About those two regulators I have that came w/o the high pressure gauges? I added them. :)

Last edited:
I would say no. I have a couple sets of regulators, one has the hp gauge, one doesn't. I have used both of them with no problems. I like the on with so I can monitor how much gas I have in the tank short of picking it up and seeing how it feels. If you take it off just make sure what you thread in the hole is well sealed. I keep an spray bottle with dish soap and water around to check for leaks.
( I happened on this post as I kegged a batch a couple days ago and always curious as to what other people do when they keg.)

Hey Glenw, Thanks for the answer. I have 3 regulators, all have the HP and none have ever registered outside the red zone whether or not they are in or out of the fridge. nut thanks for your answer, I understand the mechanics much better now.

No, it's not necessary. I have two regulators that came without the high pressure regulator.

It's also not worthless....

The way the system works is this: there is liquid CO2 in the tank. There is also headspace in which high pressure gaseous CO2 is present. The high pressure gauge gives you a look at what that pressure is. If you're in a refrigerator it'll read lower, outside higher. Typically for me, outside is 750-800 psi, in the fridge down much lower (around 500 or so). That's just normal.

That number on the gauge, assuming you keep the tank in the same place, won't change UNTIL the liquid CO2 is completely vaporized (into the headspace), at which time the high-pressure gauge will start dropping. This is your indication that you are very low on CO2, and it's time to refill or have a replacement handy.

About those two regulators I have that came w/o the high pressure regulator? I added them. :)
Thanks for the great info Mongoose33, I think i will be better served when I rebuild my keezer with a sleeve to move the tanks to the outside and learn to use the HP guage as intended. I'm also going to get a scale to use as a calibration device!

cheers to all y'all

Back