Largest 110V Breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 amp Single pole 120 VAC that you can use for your house is the norm. just wondering what your going to use a 40 amp single for?

20 amp Single pole 120 VAC that you can use for your house is the norm. just wondering what your going to use a 40 amp single for?

Just kicking around ideas. My panel is just about maxed out, so a 50A 220v circuit is out.

I might be able to squeeze in 40A, but maybe not.

I'm thinking about using two 2kw heatsticks, possibly. I have a 20A circuit available in the garage, and, since the panel is there, could add an outlet to another 20A circuit.

what are you going for here? I have a 30 amp single pole for my trailer at home its just nice when the family comes by that I can retreat to the trailer and still have A/C.T/V and the micro wave all at once.But I had to run a dedicated line with 10-3 or 8 wire can recall at the moment. They do make 50 amps singles as most larger Motorhomes and boats have 50 amp hookups

what are you going for here? I have a 30 amp single pole for my trailer at home its just nice when the family comes by that I can retreat to the trailer and still have A/C.T/V and the micro wave all at once.But I had to run a dedicated line with 10-3 or 8 wire can recall at the moment. They do make 50 amps singles as most larger Motorhomes and boats have 50 amp hookups

10 is rated at 30 amps so i would assume thats what you used.

so are you trying to run more power from your main braker box in the house to the one in the garage? im not totally following what you are trying to do. at best your standard home outlet is only rated at 20 amps and most only 15 so i would hope you are not trying to run them on a 40 amp circuit.

if you have room for one more breaker and want to put more power in the garage why not just remove the current breaker powering the garage then install a 40-50A 220 break and run power out there.

They do make double breakers for newer boxes(<20 yrs old?). NOT a 220V linked breaker but 2 thin 110 breakers in the space of a normal breaker. A couple of these will free up some room. I have only seen them in 15A versions (usually for lighting circuits), but they may make 20A versions.

There is a "legal" limit to total breaker amps in your panel (like 120% or 200% of the main breaker, but PLEASE CHECK I made those numbers up) I don't have my code book handy, anyone know off the top of their noggin? If not, I'll look it up tonight.

i would guess in the neighborhood of 200% but im not sure, its been close to 4 years since i worked in the electrical business.

They have 30A 110V connectors... generally you'd use a L6-30 twist lock plug on it with at least 14awg power wires.

Just kicking around ideas. My panel is just about maxed out, so a 50A 220v circuit is out.

I might be able to squeeze in 40A, but maybe not.

I'm thinking about using two 2kw heatsticks, possibly. I have a 20A circuit available in the garage, and, since the panel is there, could add an outlet to another 20A circuit.

2kw element on 120v will draw 16amps and some change. So a 20amp breakers will fit the bill. If you have the room in your breaker box, add a two seperate circuits. Makes life much easier in the long run.

POL is quite correct. I just did a websearch and found several makers of single pole 50amp 110v breakers. Found a 40a ground fault breaker too, which the OP may want to consider if using heatsticks.

POL is quite correct. I just did a websearch and found several makers of single pole 50amp 110v breakers. Found a 40a ground fault breaker too, which the OP may want to consider if using heatsticks.

Whoa. Ground fault breakers run about $70?

I did a search and can install a 40A breaker and a GFCI outlet for about $15, total.

I think I can just install two sets of outlets on the new circuit, one in the garage, and one through the wall, leading to the back yard. That way, I can brew in the garage, or out back. I won't need much heavy gauge romex that way.

It has been a while, I don't need to pull the meter to add the new breaker, do I? Seems like last time we just flipped the main breaker.

Capt,

If you need to add a sub panel to your current panel there are allot of ways to do this, I was an electrical contractor for almost 30 years until being diagnosed with cancer in 05, send me some pics of the panel and what you want to accomplish and I will see what options are there and posibly I can walk you through the process.

Jeff

[email protected]

I did a search and can install a 40A breaker and a GFCI outlet for about $15, total.

Definitely a code violation and dangerous to put a 40a breaker on an standard outlet. Max is 20.

It has been a while, I don't need to pull the meter to add the new breaker, do I? Seems like last time we just flipped the main breaker.

IMO you should take Jeff's advise and let him walk you thru this.

The breaker protects the cable. If your cable is only good for 15 amps, running more than that is dangerous. Make sure you know the capacity of all related components before you put in a bigger breaker.

Back