Compelling Reasons #2; Breaker vs. Contactor ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
I used to grok these techincal nuances, but brain damage took a lot of that away. Owing to a limited working-memory span I have to deal with smaller datasets, preferably those immediately pertinent to what's at hand, so in designing my brew-rig I chose to make discrete controllers for each unit: Inkbird ITC-106VH for the HLT, Auber DSPR 320 for the RIMS, and the simple Auber DSPR1 for the BK. I'd like to use a simple breaker for a couple of these, but for some reason a feeling of unease is rising out of my Dead Zone as if there is a compelling reason to chose a contactor instead. With parts of my brain reduced to 'beginner' status, I'm hoping someone can reassure me it's ok to use a breaker, or provide reasons to go with a contactor as most folk on here do.

My setup is incredibly spartan compared to most electric ones - but here's my take: contactors are preferred because the knob switch is sexy and expected, and they can easily be used with other sensors as a safety cut-out.

Though breakers aren't rated for switch duty unless specifically labeled, I've been using one as my primary switch for nine years now. At 2-4 cycles per month, it's not particularly taxing on it.

As @Agent said, contactors can be used to implement interlocks. With a RIMS you should, as a minimum, have the element enable interlocked with the pump switch, so that the element cannot be powered unless the pump is on. Even better if you also include a flow switch in the interlock. You can't do this with a breaker doubling as the element enable switch. With contactors, you can also implement a "safe start" interlock, that prevents the system from powering on unless all pumps, elements, etc. are disabled. Can prevent some nasty surprises if you forgot to turn something off at the end of your last brew session. Given your stated personal limitations, interlocks might be a good idea.

If you want assistance designing a control panel with specific requirements, I can help.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Back