Do you have an accent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first moved to Florida from Wisconsin, everyone asked me to say things like; "house", "couch", or "mouse". When I visit up north everyone tells me I have a southern twang. It just goes to show you, people not from the bible belt are Canadians... but people who live in God's Country will say you are a hillbilly.

yeah a pretty bad one or so im told. My whole Family lives in MI, so when im up there people are always asking where im from. I kind of like it, its an easy way to meet chicks. :) I always get **** up north for using terms like "Fixin to", and yall.

I love the "right quick" I hear sometimes around here but they are not from NJ, just moved here. Like "I'll get to that right quick for ya"

I think Boston is the worst...and they insist they are the only ones who speak properly. I worked with a woman who was from there.....hamma, pak the ka....watta

I asked her then why do you never hear a Boston accent on TV? Only in Boston.

My company has offices all across the country and I speak to all kinds of people on the phone. Sometimes people wonder why I don't sound like Rocky or George on Seinfeld. We don't all talk like that you know, right?

My ex is from Australia. Her accent was a real turn on in the beginning of our relationship. We were married 12 years and have been divorced 12 years. Somewhere along the way I didn't detect her accent. However, any American she meets even today, 24 years later picks out her English/Australian accent right away.

Yes I do.

I don't hear it thought till I'm out of state.

I used to work in technical support for a company based here that assisted people across the country. At the end of our calls they got to do a survey, and it was quite common to see southern clients typically say I talk quickly and some of the words that I use are a little different. I did learn though that southerners, especially women, have a unique way of being offensive without being rude. Bless your hearts.

My wife on the other hand has an unmistakable Maine accent which the closest comparisons I can come up with if you go watch Tim Sample or Bob Marley on youtube, you will get the idea. It kind of mellows out when she is around me, but when we go see her family, it comes back in full force for a few days and I can't help but make fun of her for it.

I'm a Brit living in Pennsylvania, so have to endure daily questions of "are you Australian/Russian??" - most people don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I say I'm from Wales - "oh ... Wales? I knew you were from Russia somewhere!"

And imagine the fun when I want to ask for "barbeque sauce" in a restaurant...

I have a California accent, say hella, put too much emphasize on certain words. And I say hotel as "hoe-tayl" because I made fun of my older brother for so long I just started saying it normally lol. I wish I had a better accent, like a German or, Russian one, my bro had a German exchange student come, mmmmm her voice was so alluring ;)

Edit; I also say y'all, right quick, hot minute. (I'm born and raised in ca. Only been out of it a hand full of times, to Missouri, Colorado, mexico, rhode island, and I think that's it.. But out of state people say "you talk kina funnay" insult? I'm not sure lol. )

I have an accent. I always thought it was a Central Va accent like everyone around me. Well recently my girlfriend pointed out no I don't, apparently my accent lies somewhere between NY/NJ and Central Va. Apparently when we met she knew I was not actually from where I said I was from. Hey it is not my fault my parents are from NJ and I spent time up there visiting family when I was a kid.

I will admit I knew I said coffee wrong, think thick north Jersey accent.

I didnt move to the city until I was 22, but I'm a lifelong New Yorker. Since I didnt grow up in the city I always assumed I didnt have an accent. My ex-girlfriend in college was from MA, and her mother (what a piece of work she was) always told me I had a thick New York accent. I'm not sure if that was true or if she was just being a ***** again.

Now for whatever reason I have a faint Queens (not Fran Drescher) accent when I'm at work, and a decidely thick Queens accent when I am angry or talking to cab drivers.

Used to think Virginia was southern, then I spent a few years in Tennessee. My first day at the campus bookstore someone asked me if I wanted a "buggy" (shopping cart). When I checked out the cashier asked if I wanted a "sack" (bag) for my stuff. Let's not even start with how Tennesseans tend to drop vowels or even whole syllables. Unfortunately, I pick up accents as easily as breathing.

Also, I'm dying to know what this Central Virginia accent is....

I pick up accents as easily as breathing, so I'm dying to know what this Central Virginia accent is.

Think southern light. Really it is a Richmond Va accent. Go 20 miles outside of the city and the accent changes almost completely, and people out there say people from the city talk funny.

Back