Ahtanum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Okay, so I've read about this hop. Floral, eh? Read about it here and elsewhere. But what's the perception of this hop? How do people like it? I see people are crazy for Amarillo, but haven't heard a lot of raving about Ahtanum. Curious to see what you guys think. I know, "just try it". I have some and will be using it, but wondering what you guys think. Sound like it would go well with other citrusy/floral American hops like Cascade, Crystal, Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus, Amarillo, etc. Any commercial examples I may have already had that feature this hop?

Thanks for your impressions.

I have never used Ahtanum, but I think the best way to feature it is to try it out in a APA. Since it is for aroma with mid AAU, you can use EdWort's HPA as backbone and sub in the cascade for Ahtanum. Just watch for your IBU to get a good balance of hop and malt.

Cheers... and let us know.

I used it in my IIPA, which turned out great, but also used like 5 other types of hops. My APA I am going to be brewing soon will have Glacier and Ahtanum.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go sometime. Not sure when, but I have some that I brought back from the States with me, so I'll give it a go.

I've used them. Nothing special to report really. Very similar to Cascade and Amarillo. I didn't detect anything unique about them personally.

Ive used them quite a bit, and I have noticed that the flavor is a bit more subtle than cascade/amarillo. They are good, but I like to use them in conjunction with one of the big C's instead of a stand alone hop.

Back