LOOSE vs LOSE, sorry, spelling primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite one to get torqued over is "druck" instead of "drunk."

The only time that's acceptable is if you actually ARE.

Ooh, I love these threads.

should HAVE, not "should of" (also, would and could)

...and everyone who is not currently or formerly the Queen's subject, stop using the word "whilst"!

There, I said it.

Irregardless of all ur guy's best intention's, this thread is not what I originally intended, and so I feel all insecure and distended.

Please curb ur alls enthuiasm's and orgasm's.

My point?

Irregardless is the worst abused non-word evr.

Mostly cuz unintelligeable people's use the extra prefixative to add emphasis's. Thus proving them'sself's to be pretarded.

FORSOOTH!!! *****'s

This thread is full of the disirregardlessness of the English language.

Try to follow these simple rules: (some may have already seen this, but its good to browse over from time to time)

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.
2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences up with.
3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat)
6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
7. Be more or less specific.
8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
10. No sentence fragments.
11. Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
12. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous.
14. One should NEVER generalize.
15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
16. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
17. One-word sentences? Eliminate.
18. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
19. The passive voice is to be ignored.
20. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.
21. Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
22. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
23. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas.
24. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Ihate quotations. Tell me what you know."
25. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
26. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
27. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
28. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
29. Who needs rhetorical questions?
30. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
31. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

One of the beautiful things about curse words is that they can be used in so many ways.

If we cussed all the time we wouldn't need to worry so much about grammar.

My favorite one to get torqued over is "druck" instead of "drunk."

The only time that's acceptable is if you actually ARE.

You know what though? I HAVE to defend that one. A few years ago, John Beere was guilty of "druck" posting, and that thread was also full of win and awesome that we took "druck" as a meaningful way to communicate our sloshiness with each other. Just like EAC, druck is an important part of HBT culture.

Irregardless, I can see how you hoses supposably would of not known.

Irregardless is a personal favourite of mine. I had never heard it said before coming to the US. My wife said it in a sentence and I thought it was really sexy! Hey! She's deliberately talking like a moron to be cute! That was a clever play on words!.................Buggar. That was a rude awakening when the truth dawned. :(

My pet peeve is the word 'affect'. It seems to have left us entirely. Everyone seems to use effect for both definitions.

Haha- you sound like Yuri now.

I'm not really a grammar nazi, but the one that gets me is "your". Your, you're, and worse, ur, are NOT interchangeable.

I'm now an old lady (grandma and all), but the other thing I can't get is textspeak. If you can't even spend the time to type out "you", and use punctuation, I can't spend the time formulating an answer to your (youre, ur) question.

I have a poster for that.. had to clean it up a bit for this location..

clnyour.jpg

legendary e-mail from former boob of a boss I had as a fresh-out...

"It's a loose-louse situation"....

EPIC. you can't make that stuff up.

One that bugs me is the use of Belgium instead of Belgian; as in "Please critique my Belgium wit recipe". It seems to only happen with Belgium/Belgian though. You never hear anyone say, "Hey try this Germany Pils!" or "I'm brewing an America Amber tomorrow." :confused:

asian and oriental. but don't try to correct anyone who gets it wrong or you'll just end up with that zombie stare for twenty minutes.

isn't oriental the one that is looked down upon at this point in time? Seems that derogatory terms change every year and go through cycles. I'm about to loose my mind!

Ooh, I love these threads.

should HAVE, not "should of" (also, would and could)

...and everyone who is not currently or formerly the Queen's subject, stop using the word "whilst"!

There, I said it.

whilst puroozing the thred, I notissed U aparntly never heard have 'shoulda, woulda,.. coulda'

How about the blatant misuse of "peruse."

It means to read carefully but people often use it to mean glance over.

Latest posts

Back