The Victory Golden Monkey Appreciation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
Victory Brewing Company's Belgian trippel. 9.5% ABV.

It was the first Belgian anything I've ever had, and OH MAN.

The next beer I make has to be a Belgian. It was so tasty, I almost died. How in the name of all things holy do they make such a tasty beverage?

it is a damn fine beer. . . in fact I had one yesterday while brewing. Actually, I have found that I like Stoudts Triple just a little bit more than Victory's, if you ever get a chance give one a try. Back to Victory, my father in law and I went to the brewery a couple of months ago, took the tour and spent several hours in the restaurant sampling their beers. I have to say that out of more than a dozen beers we tried we did not have a single one that was bad. There were 1 or 2 standouts. . .their barleywine and their ESB on cask were phenomenal, but other than those we were hard pressed to even come up with a ranking order. Everything was just so good. If you get a chance try the Stoudts triple and try anything else from Victory that you can get your hands on, just an all around great brewery in my opinion (oh and the restaurant is pretty good too).

Austin Homebrew sells a good trippel kit, if you don't feel like coming up with your own specific recipe. I made it last year (my second brew) using the PM recipe, and it tastes great now. You definitely need to let it mellow, trippels aren't small beers, so there was a definitely alcohol bite for the first few months.

Golden Monkey is good. :mug: Now brew your own!

I agree with you, Victory makes good stuff. I've had their Hop Devil IPA, too. It was an inspiration for my IPA :) I have yet to tour their facility, or Stoudt's, but I have wanted to for a while.

And I know all about mellowing, my IPA is still just wayyyy too hoppy and alcoholic. The alcohol taste would be overpowering, if it wasn't for the 80+ IBU of Chinook and Centennial assaulting your taste buds!

Victory is fantastic beer.

Many craft breweries are lucky to even get one beer in their lineup to rise to the level of what Victory has done many times. I wouldn't say GM was my favorite of their lineup (that would be Storm King, of course!), but it's very, very good.

I'm not so sure I'd call it a tripple, and I am pretty sure that victory does not. That being said, I do not know how else I would classify it either... a tripple saison maybe? A strong golden ale?

I dunno... I do know that I love it thougH!

I just got a hold of a mixed 12 pack from Victory and I must say all 3 beers were awesome. Golden Monkey and Hop Devil were my favorites and the Prima was a nice addition to the mix. $16 bux for a six of Golden Monkey though is a bit much so I'll keep hitting those 12 packs for $20bux as long as they last. I'll have to look for some of their other brews and try them as well.

Try to leave the Golden Monkey in its cage for a while, the tastes gets better with some age on it. My wife and I split one thats been cellaring for about 8 months, and it was nice and smooth, not harsh like it is fresh.

Victory is by far one of my favorite breweries. It used to be Troegs (and Nugget Nectar is still my favorite single beer), but it seems like anything and everything that Victory puts out is delicious!

Oh man, the Monkey!

I aspire to brew a tripel like this one day.

My friends and I used to do an annual trip to Victory for one of their birthdays. We'd eventually start playing "Monkey World". That is, if you drank one monkey, you were on "Monkey World One. I had a friend hit "Monkey World Eight" before it was "Game Over!", if you catch my meaning.

I drank 5 of those in about 2 hours one night before looking at the bottle and realizing I had made a mistake. Turned into an interesting night.... I think.

I drank 5 of those in about 2 hours one night before looking at the bottle and realizing I had made a mistake. Turned into an interesting night.... I think.

Yes, the Monkey WILL kick your ass if you don't respect it.

I consider myself very fortunate to have Victory as my local brew pub.

They are sponsoring a fund raiser now-a raffle to be a "brewer for a day", to fight cancer.

Being from Philadelphia victory is everywhere so it's not that exotic to me. But it is a solid beer. I'm more excited when we get rare west coast beers. IE Pliny the younger

I distinctly remember my first experience with Golden Monkey. I was living in FL at the time (native to PA though) and had to go work in Philly for a few nights in 2004. After the work was done my friends and I went bar hopping (I was only 19/20 I think with military ID). I bought a bottle at one of the bars and took it home with me never having had anything like it. Up to that point my beer experiences were Heineken, Killians, Yuengling, and the light beers really. I was a sucker for the corked and caged bottle really even back then. I drank it when I got home and was mesmerized by the spicy and slight clove fruity flavor.

JEALOUS!! How much do they charge for that?

A Growler of Monkey is something like $12-15. You can get the basic stuff (headwater, whirlwind wit, etc) for like $10 I think.

In all honesty their food keeps bringing me back. Best nacho's around and they are usually slow smoking their pulled pork right outside when you walk in (weather permitting of course):rockin:

I just had this beer for the first time and for some reason I picked up some eastern spices, not just coriander. The aroma reminded me of nag champa incense. What do they ferment it with and at what temp to give it so much complexity??

Back