Altbier Kit Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tone091

Reaction score
I have a altbier kit from MidWest Sup in the fermenter now (5+ gallons). After reading on here the last few days it seems that I should have used two smack packs when I pitched. What can happen (or not happen) if I used to little? I had a lot of activity for the first few days but it has calmed down to nothing since, it is sitting at around 68 deg ambient temp. Should I add a packet of dry yeast now or just see how it comes out???

What's your OG supposed to be at?

If it were me I'd go with a laissez faire approach and just let that bad boy sit for a while and go about your business as usual. If you're really concerned go buy another Wyeast pack and pitch it in.

Just remember that at the end of the day you're trying to control a process that neither you, or me, really have an in-depth understanding of. You can't really control what you don't understand, you can just kind of shove it in the right direction.

let her sit. wait 2 weeks from brew date and take a reading. Doubling the yeast is kind of overkill as you don't really know if anything is wrong.

Back