My “Wacky Summer Beer” 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
Summer is upon us…. every year I brew up something off the wall in celebration that I survived another winter. Some of these ”wacky summer brews” have turned out to be among my best efforts.
The concept for this year is basically breakfast in a glass….. I’m thinking of a modified Brown Porter, with Oatmeal, Maple Syrup, cold brewed coffee…. and bacon (or bacon character). Most of the similar beers I have seen use either a Stout or a Robust Porter as a base beer, but I don’t want to overdo the roasted character… restrain it a bit… so the other flavors come through….
I’ve been doing some reading on bacon, and I’m not completely sold on any of the methodologies… I almost think I would be better off putting in about 2 and a half pounds of Rauch Malt… any advice????
The Maple Syrup I want to use (from Pickens West Virginia) is sold only by fluid ounces…. Anybody have a clue how many fluid ounces to a pound????? The stuff is bleeding expensive, and I don’t want to have to buy any more than I need…. I hate it when things are sold by volume, when I need weight to calculate….
Anyway…. Recipe so far… (5-gallon batch)
5-pounds Pale Malt
2-pounds Munich Malt (7L)
1-pound Crystal 60
0.5-pound Chocolate Malt
0.75-pound flaked Oats
2.5-pound Rauch Malt… or Bacon…. Or both???????????
Mash at 155 degrees.
1.5-oz. Cascades 60-min.
0.5-oz Cascades 5-min.
1-pound Maple Syrup added at flame out
S-04 yeast
2-cups strong cold brewed coffee added a week or so prior to bottling.
Calculations include the Rauch Malt:
O.G. should be 1.067
IBU of around 37
Color in the 25 SRM neighborhood, maybe a tad darker with the coffee….
APV at approx. 6.4%
So….. advice? questions, comments? concerns?.......
Oh….. any good ideas for a name???? all I can come up with is “B.F.D.” (breakfast for dinner…) lame, lame I say…..

Back