Good German lager yeast to culture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcycaulkins

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on a good bottle of German lager from which I can culture yeast. I've developed a reluctance to actually BUY yeast if I can just buy a beer, and get the yeast out of the deal as well.
So, any suggestions?

Neither could I, but thought I'd ask in case anyone had any ideas... I may end up having to actually BUY yeast.

Neither could I, but thought I'd ask in case anyone had any ideas... I may end up having to actually BUY yeast.

BUYing yeast is something I have come to HATE also, and it's probably the least expensive part of the process.

No help on the lager yeast though, I'll be trying to isolate a lager strain from my wild stuff soonish.

I used to have a link to a page that listed beers you can harvest yeast from. Can't find it and can't google it either... Anyone know the list I'm talking about?

...might be a tall order since most commerical beers sold in bottles are either filtered or pasturized or both; right?

OK, how is THAT done, I HAVE to know

Well, not completely certain yet, but I plan on fermenting it cold (Assuming it will) and monitoring/blowing off the top yeast as it happens and performing subsequent batches to try and isolate bottom fermenting type strains, then go from there.:drunk: My efforts are here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/can-i-culture-yeast-juniper-berries-169156/ and I'm currently trying to isolate the ale type strains with top cropping if you're interested.

Back