Home Grain Milling options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a big order and used a new supplier. Missed the proper way to request milling/crushing. How on earth can I do this? Obviously I don't have a mill and would prefer not to have to buy one as I don't have money or room for one.

Oh lawd... that sounds like a nightmare with 12 lbs of grain. I'm betting I'd have to triple bag it to get anything done without breaking the bag.

I assume a blender wouldn't work?

Anyone know if a grinder attachment on a stand mixer is too damaging?

to the motor of the mixer, more than likely...Most people are afraid to use a 400.00 mixer and a 200.00 grain mill attachement to try. There's eben several threads but no takers.

Besides a grinder attachemnt is meant to make burger, drinding meat down and pushing it against a cutting die...that die is different that a mill's attachement.

THere's really nothing in a common houshold that can mill grain effectively. However there are some products that can be modified to be effective grain mills.

The Corona Grain/corn Mill. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

And a pasta machine...but that really needs some work done on it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

Otherwise it is what others have said....rolling pin and plastic bag....

Go to michaels, get a polymer clay roller (pasta roller). Take a 1/4" drill bit and mar the heck out of the rollers. Use a 3/8" spade bit to drive the machine. tape together the cardboard from the box for a hopper. $40. Lesson learned.

:)

or the rolling pin....

Yup, still using my Pasta maker mill. I've run probably 50lbs of grain through it by now, maybe closer to 75. Can't beat it for the price! Let me know of you are interested man. I sell them with the rollers knurled for $35 + shipping with no hopper. :)

Latest posts

Back