protein rest...Ha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
As time goes on I have noticed I am perfecting my GF homebrewing. Accept the last two batches, rubbery taste. Oh well. I have a question. What is "Protein Rest"? And how is it performed? Also does anybody use this method when using grains when brewing their GF brews..:rockin:

I do not brew GF but I do use a protein rest as part of cereal mash. Basically many grains need a protein rest as they are not significantly modified during malting. (most 2 row barley does not need a protein rest) Mostly these are cereal grains, oats, rye, wheat, rice, in their raw form. A protein rest is a 30 minute or longer rest between 113F and 138F. Two enzymes at work here proteinases (122F – 138F) will break longer chain proteins and peptidase (113F 128F) will break shorter chain proteins. Longer chain proteins are responsible for chill haze. Breaking the short chain protein peptides into amino acids is essential for yeast growth and development. However medium polypeptides are needed for good head formation and retention. So going to the higher end of the peptidase range will help keep some medium polypeptides as some of the enzyme will be denatured.

I perform a rest at 55Cel for 25mins with 75% modified home malted Millet. When the beer is done and its time to bottle its as clear as some lagers Ive seen.

I'm still kinda of a newbie. Can you outline in detail your boil/steep. Pleaeaeaease.:eek:

I'm still kinda of a newbie. Can you outline in detail your boil/steep. Pleaeaeaease.:eek:

Once you grind your grain and I suggest fine to almost flour. Work with the 2.1/Kg ratio (water to grain) bring your water which has 3tsp ascorbic acid to a pH level of 6.0 mash at 40cel for 25mins then I up the temp to 55cel for 25min. don't stir the last 15mins to allow the grain to settle and remove the clear enzyme liquid off the top. Heat the mash to 85c until thick and cool down to 65c and add your liquid back in and hold for 90mins. After this 90min hold raise the temp to 75c and transfer to your Mash tun to sparge.

Is this method for Gluten free grains? There seems to be differing advice on this topic. I bought a Snowman brew kit at my local brew shop. It says that grains don't need to be milled. It even says so on the box and confirmed by the brewshop owner. But it doesn't look near like a flour like you suggest. Also do you use Amylase? When and how do you use that? Thanks a million for he advice

tigerface;
Just because someone owns a brew supply shop doesn't mean they know everything about there produce and all the process. They could just sell a kit and maybe never even used it.

The above info is from years experience with millet and many batch's some good some not bad and others....well :eek: i didn't drink them, put it that way. I only have two years with brewing when i found out I had a problem with gluten :(
so have been using millet ever since. I don't say I know everything about millet but I can produce a Pale Ale that's a summer refresher and getting closer to my winter porter recipe being what I want.
Practice with different temps to get less body and or more body until your happy with the results. Keep good notes and only make small changes so you know what they will do to the final outcome of the beer.
I malt my own millet to allow the millet to produce its own enzymes. If you use any enzymes you need to know the temperature that type will work on. If its Beta then lower temps(40C) are needed if its Alpha then higher temps(70C).
Do some homework to find with enzymes they are and what type of beer your going for. High fermentable or less it will aid in the time and temp you add the enzyme.
Hope this helps

Awesome advice thanks. Have you ever done a partial mash? Syrups/grains? I have a recipe for an awesome GF Lawn mower beer. Consider a recipe exchange? :D Pretty simple actually

As time goes on I have noticed I am perfecting my GF homebrewing. Accept the last two batches, rubbery taste. Oh well. I have a question. What is "Protein Rest"? And how is it performed? Also does anybody use this method when using grains when brewing their GF brews..:rockin:

I won't argue against the protein rest, but I just finished a test mash using a 25 minute protein rest at 122-128F before my normal mash and it did not yield a higher specific gravity after the sparge. There may be other benefits, but for me it did not help the conversion process as far as I can tell.

Back