Splitting my Propane...engineers needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
Warning...technical CAD files I don't understand to follow....

So I would like to use my stand (2 burners) with a single propane tank. For right now, I will not be hard plumbing it (it looks like a lot of work, and we're in a recession.) My thought was to have a single regulator, then a Tee, a small needle valve for each output, and the lines that came with my turkey fryers running to each burner. I was wondering if there is any reason this part would not work for me.

McMasters Tee

It's only 6.50 and my untrained mind doesn't know why it wouldn't work...

It will work, but it depends if the mating parts match. You might bring your existing parts to HD or ACE and pick out your fittings. the 3/8 and 1/4 pipe and flare can get confusing without parts in your hands. I have different regulators with 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 so there is definitely not a standard size. You got it right though: regulator to tee, then one valve on each side of the tee. That's what I do. One reg won't run both burners at the same time very high, but I've never needed to have them both cranked.

You might bring your existing parts to HD or ACE and pick out your fittings. the 3/8 and 1/4 pipe and flare can get confusing without parts in your hands.

Good recommendation. This will save you lots of time to make sure you get exact parts. Also, make sure your pipe is large enough to handle the flow that will go to both burners.

For $25.00 WalMart carries a pre-fab propane distribution post. Has up to 4 taps, IIRC.

For $23 Bass Pro has a pre-fab tee.

Are you referring to this?

Bass Pro

I found the one at wallyworld but unfortunately it's only available online so I can't go check it out. Do you have/use one or know someone that does?

Well, I think so. I saw it in the store and it looked like you could just screw the regs into each side.

Do you have an RV shop nearby? They'll have a splitter fo sure.

You say that you saw the splitter in a Wallmart? I hate to go, but if they might have it I want to go check it out. The two piecer that can split two at 16" sounds good for now, and then if I ever want to direct fire my mash tun I could add the top piece for a third burner. I found it a few other places too but it was more like $40

Back