Splitting one Ringwood yeast packet into two starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHandedBrewing

Reaction score
I have been reading up on yeast starters and cell counts, and I have found some great info, but not exactly what I am looking for.
My question is this : I have one pack of Wyeast Ringwood Ale yeast on one pack Wyeast American Ale yeast. I am making 10 gallons of chocolate porter and would prefer to ferment the whole thing (in two separate fermentors) with the Ringwood yeast. If I make two 1L starts in 1/2 gallon growlers, splitting the Ringwood yeast packet between the two starters, will I still end up with about the same cell count as if I put the whole yeast packet in one starter? I will use the American ale yeast if needed, but I would prefer not to. I am not brewing for a few days, so I can make the starters a full 48 hours before I brew. I have never made a yeast starter before, but it seems straight forward, so I don’t need anyone wasting their time describing the process.
Just, if you have any experience, am I asking for trouble splitting one yeast packet between two starters and letting them propagate for 48 hours before pitching into the wort?
Thanks for your time and Cheers,
-Rob-

I usually dump the pack into 1 flask. Ranch it up for a day or two then pour half into another flask and add more wort to each. That way I'm fairly certain I have the same yeast coult in each flask.

Back