Does anyone have my (Walker-san's) Kaduva IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a hard drive death several weeks ago and I lost all of my recipes. I found my scottish ale on here (thanks to Orfy) and found a print out of my porter, but I lost my IPA recipe.

The recipe became pertty popular around here and a number of people brewed it. I am hoping SOMEBODY has a copy of my original recipe and can feed it back to me.

Please?

Anyone?

:confused:

I'm sure that I do! I put it into Beersmith, so I have it available.

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Yooper
Boil Size: 3.25 gal Asst Brewer: Walker's recipe
Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40
Taste Notes: Balanced, with a citrusy aroma. Nice bitterness. Excellent beer.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 84.21 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 15.79 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (60 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (30 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (25 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (20 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (10 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
0.28 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Bitterness: 39.0 IBU
Est Color: 7.6 SRM

And, later on, the AG version:

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/1/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Yooper
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer: Walker
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 45.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Balanced, with a citrusy aroma. Nice bitterness. Excellent beer.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [9.60 %] (35 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (25 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (30 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (35 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (20 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.29 %
Bitterness: 65.2 IBU
Est Color: 6.7 SRM

I'm not sure why there is chinook at 60 minutes- if that was something you had done, and I copied it, or if I was out of enough cascade/nb hops. I can see the IBUs are in the high 60s, though!

You know, I actually found a copy of this in a pile of papers in my office a week or two back. Got mixed in with some work papers and... well, papers tend to accumulate in my office.

This is insane.... This recipe has a life of it's own!

During my quest to recover the recipe, I did a google search for "Kaduva IPA". I was hoping that google still had a cached copy of it since I know that my webserver (before it's death) had a lot of hits to people looking at the recipe.

I've found this recipe being discussed on two other brewing sites, and one guy in the UK who was brewing it.

The weird thing is, every time I find a copy of the recipe from some source, it's different than the other copies I have seen! The hops used for bittering are almost always different in every version I have seen and the grain bill is not quite the same. I was pretty sure I had used Buscuit Malt in it when I made the AG version, but perhaps I am wrong and am thinking of a different beer I made.

I guess I'll just have to take all the versions I have seen and smash them back together into some hybrid version of the beer. The recipe is out of my hands now and I am chasing to catch it!

You know, I actually found a copy of this in a pile of papers in my office a week or two back. Got mixed in with some work papers and... well, papers tend to accumulate in my office.

Was it my actual recipe or your Flowers on a Flower's Grave version?

I've seen I think 3 or 4 IPA recipes on this forum that claim to be "based on" Kaduva, and I have found a couple recipes that claim to be "the" Kaduva recipe, but since none of them agree on anything other than "use a ****-ton of hops every 5 minutes" I can't reconstruct the thing.

Haha- after you mention the changes, I went back into Beersmith. I also have two versions! One was my conversion, from the extract, which doesn't use chinook, and the IBUs were lower. The one above had notes in the "notes" area, saying that this was your posted version and "Walker's version has less crystal, and carapils added (1 pound crytal, .5 lb carapils). Hops remain at .25 oz, and eight additions starting at 35 minutes. He uses chinook (.5 ounce12%AA) for bittering. (2 ounces NB and 2 ounces cascade in 8 additions also)"

My version didn't have chinook, or the carapils, and I used a bit more crystal. I think I took your extract version (which I brewed sometime in 2006, I believe) and converted it to AG and brewed that, then saw your AG conversion. I put it in Beersmith, but never brewed the actual version you posted! So, I think the version I posted above is YOUR actual recipe!

I don't remember buscuit malt in there, although it's been a while since I brewed this. This *might* have been my first AG receipe - I remember it was a helluva beer. I do remember the Chinook for bittering and the NB/Cascade combo every five minute - and I thought there was one last Chinook addition, maybe a dryhop?

I'll see if I can find that printout, though, because it was right from your website - had the tiger logo on it and everything. I don't think I threw it away.

I can't find it again quickly, but I've been gradually cleaning up my office and was planning on spending most of the day on Sunday cleaning up. If and when I put my hands on it again, I'll scan it for you.

Here's what I *do* remember...

I brewed this beer using extract three times. I did not use the same hops for the 60 minute addition each time. I know I used Chinook on the very first batch and I think switched and used Galena on another. I don't remember what I used for the other batch. Might have been one of these two or maybe even something different. One recipe I saw on a forum for UK folks that claimed to be a variation of Kaduva said that they switched bittering hops and did not use the Magnum that my recipe originally had.... but I don't recall every brewing with Magnum, so....

I distinctly remember the flavor & aroma hops schedule, and most versions I have found have stuck true to that. 0.25oz Cascade + 0.25oz Northern Brewer every 5 minutes, starting at 35 minutes left in the boil and continuing until a final addition at flame-out.

There was cascade, and only cascade, used for dry-hopping. I don't remember if it was 1oz or 2oz. I've seen references to both.

The yeast was basic dry 1056. Of that I am sure.

Now... for the AG... I converted the recipe when I made the move to AG brewing, but I don't think I ever actually brewed the AG version.

I'll see if I can find that printout, though, because it was right from your website - had the tiger logo on it and everything. I don't think I threw it away.

If you have an actual print-out from my webserver, that would kick ass.

I can't find it again quickly, but I've been gradually cleaning up my office and was planning on spending most of the day on Sunday cleaning up. If and when I put my hands on it again, I'll scan it for you.

AWESOME! Thanks man!

I *think* I have it in BeerSmith, as well, but that's at home. If I do, I'm sure that it's the original recipe, I would have copied it directly from the source. The Flowers-On-A-Flower's-Grave version was something I did later (although I barely remember that beer).

I got to thinking- I made your recipe (extract) before I had Beersmith. So, I searched my hard drive, and found this:

Walker=s Kaduva IPA
Grains
1.5 lb American Crystal 10L
Malt Extracts/Sugars
8 lbs Briess Extra Light DME
Hops (see note below about this hop schedule)
0.75 oz Chinook (12.8%) @ 60 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ flame-out
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ flame-out
1.00 oz Cascade - dry hop for 10 days prior to bottling.
Note: for the flavor/aroma hop additions, I take 2 oz of Cascades and 2 oz of Northern Brewer and mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Then I divide the mixture into 7 equal parts. Starting at 30 minutes, and ever 5 minutes thereafter, I add one of the portions to the boil. The final portion is added at the end of the boil when the heat is finally turned off.
Misc
1 tsp Irish Moss added with 20 minutes left in the boil
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Priming
1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes

The font in Word is "weird" so I know I didn't type it out- I copied and pasted it from either your web recipe, or you sent it to me! It's in "Space Toaster" font. So, I think I got the original! What do I win? :D

Note: for the flavor/aroma hop additions, I take 2 oz of Cascades and 2 oz of Northern Brewer and mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Then I divide the mixture into 7 equal parts. Starting at 30 minutes, and ever 5 minutes thereafter, I add one of the portions to the boil. The final portion is added at the end of the boil when the heat is finally turned off.

That text above is definitely a verbatim quote from my recipe.

I think I've got enough versions to be in the general ballpark and can brew this again. If Bird can find the printout from my dead webserver I'll have a warm fuzzy feeling that I really have "my" recipe again.

Latest posts

Back