Fruit beer coming out flat from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red999

Reaction score
I made a pineapple pale ale and when I went to keg it I jammed 2.4lbs of fresh crush pineapple (it was contained in a paint strainer bag) into the keg and let it sit in there for 10 days. Had the keg at 12-14psi for those 10 days. After the 10 days I pulled out the pineapple, got the keg back up to 14psi gave a pour and it was flat. I decided to up the psi to 20 and let it sit for another 7 days. Tried it again and its still flat, it just pours out faster now.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Could the fresh fruit somehow cause the beer to not carb? All my other kegs are at 14psi and are carbed. I'm using 10 feet of beer line on all of the kegs.

Not sure why it's not carbing. Try ramping it up to 30psi, shaking the daylights out of it for 60 seconds. Leave it at that pressure for several hours, then take it back down to 12-14psi.

I was looking into brewing this Pineapple Pale a few weeks ago. Aside from the carbonation issue, how does it taste?

It mellowed out a lot, and other than the being flat issue it tastes good. I think 4 lbs of pineapple for a 5 gallon batch is way too much. when I first tried it, it tasted like pineapple juice that way dry hopped. I would brew it again for the summer but def tone down pineapple. Maybe 2-3 lbs of pineapple for 5 gallons. You can always add more but you cant take away.

Possible when you popped the keg to pull out the pineapple some CO2 came out of solution? Did it fizz a lot?

Ramp the pressure up to 30 PSIG on your keg, then disconnect the gas. Wait a bit (an hour or two) then, with your regulator set to 0 PSIG, put the gas disconnect back on and read the keg pressure. If it's gone down maybe you've been leaking rather than carbing.

Nope didn't fizz at all. For some reason its carbed now. I just left it at 12-14 psi and pulled a pint tonight and it came out fine. Not sure why but I guess it just needed a whole lot of time.

In my experience...the more dense the beer (be it hops, malt, adjuncts or just strange flavor additives), the longer it takes for the beer to carbonate.

My 999 Barley wine took 4 times longer than a normal APA.

Latest posts

Back