where do you put your primary bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello,
It is about 50F at night and 75F at day in my garage, I don't think its good temp. for fermentation. I put my in closet in one of my bed room where the temp is perfect between 65-70. One problem though, it's very smelly, especially two batch concurrently.
So, where do you put yours?

I usually put mine in the garage or the computer room depending on what I'm making. The computer room usually stays at a constant 65º, the garage varies between 50º and 55º this time of year. Oddly, I really don't get much of a smell anymore, even though my first few batches did smell quite a bit.

Mine is in a bathtub in our second bathroom that we do not use the tub regularly. But its starting to fill up now that I have a primary, a secondary and some conditioning bottles now. Not sure where to go next once I have to transfer the belgian to another secondary!

Put it in the garage and wrap it in an old quilt. This will damp out the temperature changes.

you could also put them in the garage in a tub of water. This will also mitigate the temp swings. I personally keep them in my "library", which is what my room is called. I put them on a folded towel so that they are off the cool hardwood, and slip a fleece vest over them. This keeps the temp steady.

I am planning on moving all of mine to the basement for the spring summer and fall.

I guess I worry to much on temp. From your replies, it seems like somewhere from 57-75F would be fine.
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I have a little broom closet type of deal that I use as my storage - works great! I can fit three 6 1/2 gal carboys plus it has a few shelves that fit about 75-80 bottles each... finally, it keeps at a very steady 72 degrees in there. Small, economical, yet effective... I love it!

Greetings from a brand new member. In awe at the obvious knowledge. Just doing my first brew in > 20 years. I am using a converted bar fridge. Glued to the left side, the rear and the right side is a flexible water heater from a water bed. Inside the fridge body I have put a probe to a surgical quality analogue thermometer (4 inch dial) mounted at the top rear of the fridge. The temperature is sitiing at exactly 94'F, controlled by the water bed heater thermostat. Will be interesting to see how the brew turns out.

BillGrates said:
Greetings from a brand new member. In awe at the obvious knowledge. Just doing my first brew in > 20 years. I am using a converted bar fridge. Glued to the left side, the rear and the right side is a flexible water heater from a water bed. Inside the fridge body I have put a probe to a surgical quality analogue thermometer (4 inch dial) mounted at the top rear of the fridge. The temperature is sitiing at exactly 94'F, controlled by the water bed heater thermostat. Will be interesting to see how the brew turns out.
What pray tell are you brewing at 94f. Way too high to make beer and a tad too high for wine. Too high a temperture will kill off the yeast before it has a chance to do its work.:mug:

Out in the beer shed in the summer, which can swing from 50s to 100s.

Inside during the winter when it never gets warm outside. Maybe a 50 to 75 degree range inside in the winter.

I have 40 gallons fermenting inside right now, 20 gallons of which is less than 2 weeks old and still going strong. No smell issues. But I could see the beer smell concentrating in a closet. The smell of my beer fermenting isn't unpleasant, though, and wouldn't bother me either way.

Cheers :D

Back