Keezer in the Garage-Any free of freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmummert

Reaction score
I think this is safe.... But figured better to ask first.
I live in New Jersey, so it gets cold but not nearly as bad as other places.
I will be building a keezer shortly, looking at several different options but probably going to bring the spigots out through the front in the collar.
Do I need to be concerned that anything would freeze. I think the freezer would protect the kegs, do I need to be concerned with the spigots?
Thanks in advance
John

A freezer will not block cold weather.....is that what you're asking? It will eventually get to the outside temps. If it's going to be colder than your desired serving temps, I'd use a light bulb inside the freezer with a temp controller that can handle heating.

Wrap some pipe heater tape around the shanks inside collar. Don't know where you are in NJ, but in Ramsey pipes inside unheated spaces had to be protected. Never got really cold, but stayed below freezing for long periods.

Understand you are in NJ so might not be a problem but +1 on the "it will freeze"...I have a fridge in my garage (MA)...it essentially does not kick on in the dead of winter and a week of below 32 will be an issue...

david 42...heat tape the shank??? Not sure I want my bear running through a warm faucet...curious...have you done this?

Back