Boat Recomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a boat next year, so I thought I would do some shopping now.

What I'm after:

-Primarily a fishing boat, but should work for weekend fun
-Lake Fishing (Northern Minnesota)
-Prefer aluminum
-Needs to be big enough to seat 5 people comfortably at speed
-I don't really want a "tricked out" boat, just give me seats and an engine. I'll add on what I need.

Any thoughts?

I don't know of any aluminum fish/ski boats that'll fit that bill.

Just wanted to chime in and say I lovveee my Champion (but I don't use it for 'weekend fun')
2011-04-27_18-06-27_934.resized.jpg

champ2.jpg

Go with a 20-25 foot pontoon. They are super comfortable and have tons of room for fishing. I use mine for everything from bass fishing to trolling for trout. Don't get the standard 50 horse motor, go with at least 100 or bigger if you can afford it. I have custom made downrigger mounts and a removable electric trolling motor on the front. It's easily the most fun and practical boat I have ever owned. My next one will have 3 pontoons and at least 150 horsepower. My friend has a triple toon with an evinrude 250 that screams. I love sitting in the recliner up front going full throttle down the lake passing speed boats.

I have an 18' Starcraft bowrider that I've had 5 people in before. It seats 6 comfortably. For fishing, I plan on making a removable deck (with attached swivel seat) that replaces the cushions in the bow.

Nice thing about aluminum is the weight. It beats you up when the water's rough, but man it's nice for efficiency. My '85 Merc 60 sips gas - go all day on about 6-7 gallons fuel. Top speed is about 30mph though, which is fast enough for tubing, but not skiing.

My build, if interested: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=260400&

PS - not advocating you rebuild a boat like I did, just sharing my experience with my aluminum boat. They still make new models that are similar to mine.

FIL had an 88 basstracker aluminum that I would love to get some day. But honestly, it only seats about 3 for fishing comfortably. I don't know that I've seen a decent bass boat that seats 5. We had 5 people on his boat once and it was MAYHEM!

Thanks for the responses.

JP - Thanks for sharing your project. I'm inspired, but I doubt SWMBO would be pleased with me taking on another project. But, you never know!

I have a few boats I've identified and I left them out on purpose to see what kind of suggestions I might get. I've (somewhat arbitrarily) identified 18' as my target length. I have northern and walleye fishing in mind, not much casting. I like the pontoon idea. I can see myself sitting in a leather lazy boy watching the grill on one of those babies!

Here's what I've identified. Any experiences/thoughts or additional comments are appreciated. Lund seems to want to stick you with Mercury engines (they're owned by the same company). I'm more interested in an Envinrude.

18' Lund SSV - very simple boat ready for upgrading, but I really want a flat floor. There is a "drop in floor" option, but I'm not sure about that. I would have to see it.

18' Lund Alaskan - fairly simple boat. It has 5 seat bases and a nice open deck. I like that. I don't understand the built in fuel tank. Maybe I'm too old school. I don't want to pay a premium for that.

18' Lund Sport Angler - Nice big boat with lots of seat bases. Again, built in fuel tank.

Alumacraft 18' Navigator - Essentially the same as the Lund Sport Angler

Alumacraft 18' Dominator - I consider this a "tricked out boat". I think it has more options than I can justify. But, it's big and has plenty of seats. I like the jump seats in the back.

Thanks for the responses.

JP - Thanks for sharing your project. I'm inspired, but I doubt SWMBO would be pleased with me taking on another project. But, you never know!

I have a few boats I've identified and I left them out on purpose to see what kind of suggestions I might get. I've (somewhat arbitrarily) identified 18' as my target length. I have northern and walleye fishing in mind, not much casting. I like the pontoon idea. I can see myself sitting in a leather lazy boy watching the grill on one of those babies!

Here's what I've identified. Any experiences/thoughts or additional comments are appreciated. Lund seems to want to stick you with Mercury engines (they're owned by the same company). I'm more interested in an Envinrude.

18' Lund SSV - very simple boat ready for upgrading, but I really want a flat floor. There is a "drop in floor" option, but I'm not sure about that. I would have to see it.

18' Lund Alaskan - fairly simple boat. It has 5 seat bases and a nice open deck. I like that. I don't understand the built in fuel tank. Maybe I'm too old school. I don't want to pay a premium for that.

18' Lund Sport Angler - Nice big boat with lots of seat bases. Again, built in fuel tank.

Alumacraft 18' Navigator - Essentially the same as the Lund Sport Angler

Alumacraft 18' Dominator - I consider this a "tricked out boat". I think it has more options than I can justify. But, it's big and has plenty of seats. I like the jump seats in the back.

I think your biggest problem will be fitting 5 people on an 18 foot traditional boat. Are you going to be trolling with downriggers? I bet you if you go for a ride on at least a 20 foot fishing pontoon you will fall in love with it. I always owned bass boats or open bow I/O's and never thought I would own a pontoon until I went on one. Now I won't own anything else, the only thing they don't do well is really rough water. If you get rough conditions you would want the biggest diameter pontoons you can find and if you can afford it get a triple toon. I'm heading out in a few minutes to do some bass fishing, with 2 of us casting we can literally walk around like we are standing on a huge dock. When we meet friends on the lake that own speed boats they all end up sitting on our boat because there is so much room. There really isn't a better all around boat out there.

Back