Getting in touch with your seasonal side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeradical

Reaction score
Anyone know of anything wild that is harvest-able in the winter that can be brewed up? I live in North Carolina, but feel free to share the winter fermentables that grow in your native region.

If you'd asked about 4 months back, you could have had a lot of stuff, most likely. Persimmons, apples, and various nuts being the primary things. Right now you're not going to find a lot of wild things that will go well in beer (other than maybe tree parts like spruce, sassafras roots, spicewood, juniper, etc) in and around Boone. You could probably find some wild edibles, however.

Where I live now, I've not found a lot in the wild that might go well in beer at this time of the year. Later in the season, there will be blackberries, grapes, blueberries, various flowers, herbs, and other things.

Where I'm at, this time of year gives the opportunity to make snow-based beer. Other options are hard to find right now. :)

Seriously, I do like the idea of a regional /seasonal guide to wild brewables.

Back