unusual high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbgv

Reaction score
I brewed a NB 'English Pale Ale' kit yesterday...I did add 1lb extra of dme and 1/2 lb lt brown sugar...the kit said that the OG should be about 1.050[without the extras]..after agitating,with paddle till it had a 4' head, for about 15 min,I drew a cup of wort fron the spigot to check the OG...I could not believe my eyes when I saw 1.080 !!..so, I drew another cup and checked again 15 mins later=1.080..sure seems awful high for the amounts of extras added...??? I figured it should be around 1.065, at the most...

6lb lme
2lb dme
1/2lb br sugar

I brewed a NB 'English Pale Ale' kit yesterday...I did add 1lb extra of dme and 1/2 lb lt brown sugar...the kit said that the OG should be about 1.050[without the extras]..after agitating,with paddle till it had a 4' head, for about 15 min,I drew a cup of wort fron the spigot to check the OG...I could not believe my eyes when I saw 1.080 !!..so, I drew another cup and checked again 15 mins later=1.080..sure seems awful high for the amounts of extras added...??? I figured it should be around 1.065, at the most...

6lb lme
2lb dme
1/2lb br sugar

What was your final volume and how long did you boil your extract? Beersmith says if you had a volume of 3.87 Gallons, you could have that Gravity.

Also, good job on getting 4 feet of head, that is amazing :)

Did you correct for temperature?

I thought of this too, but a difference this big would be more than just the temp unless he tested at like 400 degrees, plus he got the same reading 15 minutes apart from each other and it if was test at 100+ I don't think it would still be at that 15 minutes later.

I think TimSTi may be on too it, may not have topped off enough or someone walked by and dumped a few more pounds of sugar in while your back was turned :)

I did a 3 gal boil for 1hr &15 min..wort level is about 1/4 gal above the 5 gal mark in the fermenter..and unless my house is haunted,no more sugar was added[I was home by myself]....my thought...since I drew my jar liquid from the bottom spicot,could the heaver solids like hop fibers and irish moss be the culprit??

What was your final volume and how long did you boil your extract? Beersmith says if you had a volume of 3.87 Gallons, you could have that Gravity.

Also, good job on getting 4 feet of head, that is amazing :)

OK,I f''d up.took a gravity yesterday and it was 1.018..decided to rack to a secondary...racked to secondary and only had 4 gal !!..now the high sg seems in line[per above from 'humann_brewing]..don't know if this was OK,but I added 1 gal of boiled water,cooled to the same temp as the wort, sanitized hose and funnel and added the de-oxogenated water to the bottom of the secondary to avoid adding O2 to the wort..will it work ??
....and yes,my arms were tired after wipping up a 4' head...[4" is more like it..]

Latest posts

Back