Something is eating my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbobble

Reaction score
I have no idea what's doing it but something is turning two of my 3 hop plant leaves into lace. I checked the leaves and I can't see anything obvious. Unless they're smaller than I can see. They got nicely mangled in less than a week. Can they come back from something like this or am I screwed for this year?

The best way to go with protecting your hops would be to add a fish oil fertilizer to your soil to prevent bugs from eating the leaves. This is what the Oregon commercial growers use. I'm not sure, but if your hop plants are mangled, I think you may get some yeild (not much) if you can prevent any further bugs from eating the leaves. The fertilizer allows the plant to ingest it and since the bugs don't like fish oil, they will leave the plant alone.

Spray them down with an organic pesticide to curtail any further damage asap. Even though you can't see them, clearly they're chewing away. I had a bit of bug damage this year too and couldn't figure out what the problem was for a while. I finally noticed tiny catepillars, and by tiny I mean 2mm, on the underside of the leaves! I've been using Neem oil and Organocide on the plants and it seems to have helped.
Sucks to hear about your plants, hope all goes well!

Thanks guys! I'll pick up your recommended gear (if I can find it) next time I head to town.
Appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back