drinking the flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deaditefamily

Reaction score
would drinking the flat un carbonated beer hurt me and my friends cause they love the taste of flat beer! can i serve it to them and they would get as drunk as carbonated beer?

i got a bunch of buddies who want beer and its been the full time to ferment and they want beer..can i give them the flat beer and it will get them drunk as the carbonated will is what i am asking?

Couldn't imagine loving the taste of flat beer... But if that's your thing, drink away!

It certainly won't hurt you.

Assuming the beer is done fermenting: If you naturally carbonate, there will be VERY slightly less alcohol than carbed beer... but not enough for you to ever notice a difference. In other words, it'll get you plenty drunk.

Carbonation has no bearing on how drunk you get; only alcohol content matters.

so i wont kill them serving them the flat beer is all i need to know so i dont get in trouble with the law for killing them lmfao

I used to work with a guy who would heat up his beer on the stove (lager, ale, didn't matter) in the winter.

Maybe it's an old country euro thing?

I've started taking a liking to some of the less carbonated styles. I also know a guy who intentionally flattens his soda before drinking it. To each their own.

I do recall hearing something from a somewhat trustworthy source that CO2 in a beverage causes the alcohol to be absorbed by the body faster. Can't think of where though. Drunk faster? Maybe. But now we're about to start up the debate of drinking for the enjoyment, or the effects. Let's not go there again. Please.

If I remember right, the carbonation does have an impact on the rate at which the alcohol enters your bloodstream (hence why champagne goes to some people's heads so quickly). But drinking flat beer is not going to kill your friends.

(EDIT: I see Zepth brought up the same point as I was typing my response.)

I've been drinking some of the dregs at bottling time for years, and I'm not dead yet.

Is this a matter of your friends actually liking uncarbonated beer, or being unable to wait a couple more weeks for a quick drunk? ;)

Gross.

What's the hurry? Your beer is not ready to drink. Bottle it, wait a month, and enjoy it. If you and your buddies just want to get hammered, go get a bottle of crap vodka.

I used to work with a guy who would heat up his beer on the stove (lager, ale, didn't matter) in the winter.

That's not for me but I can see that being okay for some styles (stouts, nut browns, ESB)

I also know a guy who intentionally flattens his soda before drinking it. To each their own.

Yep. I also knew a guy who shook his bottles and intentionally flattened his soda.

I've started taking a liking to some of the less carbonated styles. I also know a guy who intentionally flattens his soda before drinking it. To each their own.

I do recall hearing something from a somewhat trustworthy source that CO2 in a beverage causes the alcohol to be absorbed by the body faster. Can't think of where though. Drunk faster? Maybe. But now we're about to start up the debate of drinking for the enjoyment, or the effects. Let's not go there again. Please.

If I remember right, the carbonation does have an impact on the rate at which the alcohol enters your bloodstream (hence why champagne goes to some people's heads so quickly). But drinking flat beer is not going to kill your friends.

(EDIT: I see Zepth brought up the same point as I was typing my response.)

I've been drinking some of the dregs at bottling time for years, and I'm not dead yet.

Is this a matter of your friends actually liking uncarbonated beer, or being unable to wait a couple more weeks for a quick drunk? ;)

There have only been two very small studies done regarding carbonation and absorption rates, and each of them had serious study design flaws, very small sample sizes, and questionable conclusions. Furthermore, the explanations behind the conclusions are debated, not readily replicated, and in some explanations, of questionable scientific accuracy. Regardless, in both of these small studies, when they did see an increase in absorption rate in carbonated alcoholic beverages, it was only briefly, and then normalized to the flat alcoholic beverage baseline. In short, practically speaking, carbonation is very unlikely to have any noticeable (if any) effect on your average consumer.

Although I'm not an expert in this particular field, I am a doctor, so I do speak with a bit of authority on the relevant anatomy and physiology of this particular subject.

I've read that beer that is more highly carbonated gets you drunk more quickly than flat beer, but the ABV for flat vs. carbonated is the same (minus the tiny bit of sugar used for priming).

would drinking the flat un carbonated beer hurt me and my friends cause they love the taste of flat beer! can i serve it to them and they would get as drunk as carbonated beer?

I have come to enjoy beer and soda flat and even moderately warm. This not only makes it gentler on the throat but less acidic on the stomach and other sensitive places. Still get drunk and hopefully it is healthier.

Latest posts

Back