Need New Glarus Brewing "Road Slush" clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rentachik

Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says. A few years ago I had a few of New Glarus's Road Slush oatmeal stout. AMAZING!!!! But, it looks like they have retired it. So... I asked them to send me the recipe... I assume they will not. (Can't blame them)

So I am looking to put together a 5gal batch of this stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

New Glarus Road Slush
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/Beers.cfm?BeerID=26
131109385_b235522d98.jpg

do you have any homebrewing experience? I only ask as I see this is your first post on the forum.

Heres a good link if you're willing to do the work and figure out a clone recipe on your own. It would require not only homebrewing experience to figure this out but also a pretty good idea of what different ingredients taste like. So this might not be too helpful.

Love to help, but theres no distribution for that beer out here in seattle and the website didn't offer much info. I'm sure the HBT stout recipe database has oatmeal stout recipes in abundance

Welcome To HBT regardless.

I've got about 15-20 batches ~100gals brewed. Most of them are extract/partials. I just built an AG set up and have had a good luck with it so far. Just brewed a belgian strong ale.

I think I'm going to start with a straight up oatmeal stout and go from there. Sucks I can't buy some Road Slush for comparison. Oh well.

Anyone else?

I think they are pretty open about what's in their beers. You may get a reply from Dan telling you what's in the beer.

I didn't know it was discontinued- I haven't seen it lately but I thought it was because it was a seasonal. I haven't had it in a while, but stout isn't one of my favorite styles anyway.

I made an oatmeal stout recently (keg just kicked last night) that I thought was great, and I took it almost directly from Brewing Classic Styles.

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (roasted) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

If Dan at New Glarus hooked me up, that'd be sweet. But like I said, I'd understand if they didn't. I've been an avid New Glarus fan for quite sometime. Road Slush really hit me as one that I really liked. I bought up what I could. Then it all disappeared. Last year I waited for it to come back into season. It didn't. :( Oh well I'll have to try to clone it.

I'll keep you posted with what I find out,

I'm guessing you won't get any info from them. Here's a response I received from New Glarus when I asked about their Uff-Da:

We're so happy to hear that you share our love of craft brewing and that you enjoyed our Uff-da as much as we enjoyed brewing it! Although we understand the benefits of open discussion, we find that the extremely competitive nature of our industry coupled with the rapid pace of the internet has forced us to "keep our cards close to our chest". In the end, as a company, our strength can be found mainly in the unique and diverse nature of our beers. We must protect our livelihood and investment. I hope you can understand this unfortunate situation. Thank you for your understanding and support! Cheers!!

I'm guessing you won't get any info from them. Here's a response I received from New Glarus when I asked about their Uff-Da:

We're so happy to hear that you share our love of craft brewing and that you enjoyed our Uff-da as much as we enjoyed brewing it! Although we understand the benefits of open discussion, we find that the extremely competitive nature of our industry coupled with the rapid pace of the internet has forced us to "keep our cards close to our chest". In the end, as a company, our strength can be found mainly in the unique and diverse nature of our beers. We must protect our livelihood and investment. I hope you can understand this unfortunate situation. Thank you for your understanding and support! Cheers!!

Yeah, NG is a great brewing company but is one of the most closed brewers out there. There's an old Brewing Network radio broadcast in which Dan gives away almost no real info on their beers. It's funny that they are this way because they only sell in Wisconsin & folks in WI are going to buy their beers regardless, so it's hard for me to believe that homebrewers brewing clones are going to affect their bottom line at all.

I do want to point out some good news though. According to a few websites & discussion boards Road Slush is returning in 2010 (but Coffee Stout is out for 2010). It'll be a Seasonal that's supposed to be released in February.

Yeah, I never understood how giving out the malt bill and hops would hurt anything. It's not like they are giving out an exact process. And even if the did give 10 different people the exact same ingredients/process, they would all still brew different beer.

I have asked them the same question about another beer they brew, and got the same feedback. I have asked other breweries that and NG is the only one that has not sent me a ingredient list.

I have asked them the same question about another beer they brew, and got the same feedback. I have asked other breweries that and NG is the only one that has not sent me a ingredient list.

Same here. Some breweries even go so far as to make clones for their beers and publish them in BYO, etc.

Well it is good to see Road Slush come back for 2010, but a recipe for it would be even better.

Still looking for a extract clone.

You should try to find a basic oatmeal stout recipe to start and then tweak from there. I really doubt you are going to find a true clone recipe. NG doesn't give out much info about their recipes and a lot of their beers are only on the shelf for a few months out of the year. Makes it hard to clone, so it seems like not a lot of people try to do it.

Back