Kegging set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some advice on setting up kegging equipment. I have a larger dorm size fridge I want to use and I was thinking that I would just use two cornies with picnic taps until I get the nerve to build a tower set up. (I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but I'm fairly intelligent!). Anyway, I can fit two cornies and I'll have to put the co2 tank in there, too. Does any one else keep the co2 tank in the fridge, too?

Here's the set up I want: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

I was promised this for Christmas, but I want to make sure this is really what I want!

That would do nicely. I started with my CO2 in the old kegger & moved it out, but it's back inside for the new one.

I keep two cornies and a 5# co2 tank in my sanyo 4912 minifridge (the one most people use). There are not a lot of fridges that can easily fit two cornies, so I'd recommend you make real sure yours is the right size - the 4912 is probably the biggest minifridge I've ever come across, and even in this thing it's a tight fit. Personally, if I had the space for it, I'd rather have a chest freezer because for the same cost you can fit more cornies.

That keg setup sounds like most everything you need to get started, however you might want to call around to the places you'd get your CO2 filled and see what their deal is. A lot of places only do exchanges so your shiny new tank will be gone after the first fill, in which case you might be better off buying a used tank from them in the first place, if their price is any better.

Funkenjäger said:
Personally, if I had the space for it, I'd rather have a chest freezer because for the same cost you can fit more cornies.

Yup, check sams club. There is a 5cu chest freezer for $146 which is about the same price as the 4912's. It'll hold 4 cornies, so you could dispence 2 and have 2 on deck.

You can get a 5# tank filled and refilled at Cintas w/o having to swap. The problem is it costs about the same as having a 10, 15 or 20# tank filled.

I keep mine inside. I trimmed the wire shelf to hold it in the back and the cornys go in front.

DSCN2507.JPG

david_42 said:
That would do nicely. I started with my CO2 in the old kegger & moved it out, but it's back inside for the new one.

David did you notice any difference as to whether or not the tank was inside or out?

Bobby_M said:
There's no difference mounting a tank inside or outside give or take a few hundred PSI. Your regulator won't care.

That's what I thought too but my LHBS owner seems to think differently. And says it needs to be inside the fridge. He's usually pretty knowledgable but I think he's mistaken about this.

abracadabra said:
...says it needs to be inside the fridge. He's usually pretty knowledgable but I think he's mistaken about this.
Not just mistaken...just plain wrong!

The only reasons to keep it inside the fridge are to reduce the footprint of your setup and/or avoid drilling a small hole for a CO2 line. However, cold regulators tend to be a little finicky and need a bit of babysitting until everything reaches equilibrium.

Keeping the tank outside the fridge allows for easier monitoring and adjustment as well as the use of a larger tank (I've yet to replace my 20# cylinder after over a year of regular use). A warm regulator outside the fridge will make fine adjustments much easier.

In the end, it's really not a big deal where you keep the cylinder so long as it's well regulated with no leaks.

Yuri_Rage said:
Keeping the tank outside the fridge allows for easier monitoring and adjustment as well as the use of a larger tank (I've yet to replace my 20# cylinder after over a year of regular use).
You know what you just did to yourself, right? JINX

I was told by my LHBS to specifically leave my tank outside, something about the dissimilar metals contracting at different rates and leaking (if kept inside the fridge). The bottle is aluminum and the valve on the bottle is brass.

abracadabra said:
That's what I thought too but my LHBS owner seems to think differently. And says it needs to be inside the fridge. He's usually pretty knowledgable but I think he's mistaken about this.

Inside? If anything I have heard the opposite from most people. I really have never noticed a difference other than the gauges don't read correctly, NBD.

Cheers

Don't believe anyone that tells you that you NEED to keep the bottle outside. It is simply preference. If there were an actual concern with dissimilar metals and this small temperature difference, they wouldn't be selling them as compressed gas cylinders. :)

Mine have always been on the inside for appearances only. As mentioned the main bottle pressure gauge will read lower, but that has nothing to do with our dispensing at the very low psi that we use.

People who give out incorrect info really frost my CO2 bottle! :tank:

Both my CO2's are on the outside...the 4912 and the keezer.

But...it's because they're 20#'rs.

If you go with the smaller tank on the inside, it would be worth investing in another CO2 system for charging your kegs. I don't know that a 5 pound tank would last that long charging and pushing.

Bobby_M said:
There's no difference mounting a tank inside or outside give or take a few hundred PSI. Your regulator won't care.

I disagree. My regs work much better now that they're ouside the fridge.

Yooper Chick said:
I need some advice on setting up kegging equipment. I have a larger dorm size fridge I want to use and I was thinking that I would just use two cornies with picnic taps until I get the nerve to build a tower set up. (I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but I'm fairly intelligent!). Anyway, I can fit two cornies and I'll have to put the co2 tank in there, too. Does any one else keep the co2 tank in the fridge, too?

Here's the set up I want: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

I was promised this for Christmas, but I want to make sure this is really what I want!
Thanks for starting this because I have EXACTLY the same question. I want to start basic and add as needed, however I don't know if I should start with a single keg system or pony up for a dual keg system now for when i add a tower, and then there's were to get it from because there seems to be nearly a $100 difference in the same basic set up....... it's maddening! ... But it's a problem i'm happy to deal with! :D

Latest posts

Back