I Wish Someone told me before I started homebrewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that your neighbors will drink as much beer as they can because it's 'free'. If only they thought about how "free" it isn't...

+1... actually I'll be 21 on Jan 26th. My first brew should be ready to drink the weekend following my Birthday!

I wish somebody had told me how addicting homebrewing is. I need to get more bottles so I can get a pipeline started.:)

Ah, man. Did you miss the forum rules when you signed up, swearing that you are of legal age? You said you were over 21 when you signed up.

Our forum rules require you to be 21 in the US to participate in this forum.

I wish someone would have told me that on a homebrew level, mash efficiency doesn't mean squat if your beer tastes great.

ihatehoward said:
That upgrades don't end.

This. Ever. Im still relatively new. And always reading about/finding ways to make better beer.

I WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME....That this hobby would take over my life. Spending hour and days of free time brewing, reading about brewing, thinking about brewing, talking about brewing, writing on forums about brewing, and drinking homebrew. (I'm not complaining)

hey guys i saw one of these on a bike forum that im a member of and i figured it would be a very informative thread for the newbie. I learned more in reading 5min of that one thread than my entire 2 months as a member.

So i'll start it off

i wish someone told me.... To just spend the extra 20 bucks for the kit with a glass carboy and autosiphon...

And of course, to rdwhahb

rdwhahb?

That Brewing is really about the "Process and Journey. Wish this was FB so I could
"Like" some of the responses.

I WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME....That this hobby would take over my life. Spending hour and days of free time brewing, reading about brewing, thinking about brewing, talking about brewing, writing on forums about brewing, and drinking homebrew. (I'm not complaining)

Completely agree with this, but it has been a wonderful relationship.. My Hobby and Me.

I wish someone told me how easy it is to get into all grain brewing AND do not skimp on a small boil pot.

I feel like most of these are people who didn't research enough before starting :D besides the kegging, and upgrades are endless. :ban:

I wish I would know how easy it is to convert an old freezer to a fermentator, how critical temp control is to consistency, and how freaking easy it is to build a kegerator.

That I might have to drink a lot of beers in a short amount of time because I need to bottle whats in my secondary so I can transfer whats in my primary, so that I can do something with whats boiling away on my stove... Sacrifices...

That carboys, even better bottles, are a pain in the neck. Buckets work just as well for everything (including long term storage) are stackable, and you don't need to fish anything out of a tiny neck like hop bags or the like. Save yourself the money and effort.

I wish someone would have told me to watch the videos on youtube, rather than read. You be surprised how far off what you envision can be from how it's really done.

I wish someone would have told me that brewing would takeover my life. And tell my GF not to buy me that basic starter kit last christmas, 800$ spent and 17 batch later the next year she would regret that a lot.

I wish someone had told me to remove the label from the plastic container of Breiss LME before dipping into the hot wort in order to get every last bit of LME out.

And, not to dip some hot, boiling wort out into the same container, put the lid back on, and shake vigorously causing the lid to explode off and hot steamy wort to spray all over me.

That was my second brew day and boy it was a doozy...

I wish someone had told me to NOT sell that mini-fridge at the garage sale three months before I decided to try homebrewing. You know that little fridge that everyone turns into a kegerator for fermentation fridge?

I wish someone told me before I started brewing that yeast rafts are status quo and not an infection. I nearly cried.

I wish someone had told me to buy a digital scale early in the game and not to "eyeball" or "guesstimate" the amount of corn sugar to use in bottle priming. But, it was fun to open a beer bottle and watch it shoot out six to eight inches above the lip!

I wish I had practiced syphoning with water first.
Lost a lot of beer to the floor.
Discovered my dog likes beer.
At least it was a good day for him :)

I wish someone would have mentioned how quickly I would notice flaws in commercial brews... and my own for that matter.

I wish someone would have told me how relatively difficult it is to screw up a batch of beer. Short of infection, there isn't really much that will turn beer into not-beer. I spent a lot of time early on worrying that I had ruined my batches by mashing 3° too high.

Fortunately, I started AG, as I didn't know there was any other option. Didn't even know there was such a thing as extract until I joined this site. First time I saw the Extract Brewing thread, I thought it was referring to flavor extracts (vanilla porters, chocolate stouts, etc.) :drunk:

Back