Do lager yeasts ferment for a longer period of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I'm using my first lager yeast, Wyeast California Lager, while fermenting a California Common and for three days I had vigorous blow-off. Now a week into it the blow-off is over and I have a regular 3-piece airlock installed, but this thing is still swirling and bubbling like mad. It's pretty cool to watch, but I'm wondering if it's just an odd batch, or is this pretty standard for a lager yeast. FYI it's been fermenting pretty steadily between 60 and 62 degrees.

All of my previous ale yeast ferments have been pretty much over after a week, and after 2 weeks I go to a secondary. I'm not worried about this one, just curious. :p

Lager yeasts typically take longer to ferment because they are fermented at lower temperatures. If a lager yeast is fermented warm, like the California Lager strain typically is, then it won't necessarily take longer than an ale yeast to reach terminal gravity. It's more related to temperature than yeast type.

That being said, many homebrewers have discovered that the beer comes out better if it's allowed to sit on the yeast cake for an extra week or two. I'd give it 3 weeks, check gravity, then rack.

Lager yeasts typically take longer to ferment because they are fermented at lower temperatures. If a lager yeast is fermented warm, like the California Lager strain typically is, then it won't necessarily take longer than an ale yeast to reach terminal gravity. It's more related to temperature than yeast type.

That being said, many homebrewers have discovered that the beer comes out better if it's allowed to sit on the yeast cake for an extra week or two. I'd give it 3 weeks, check gravity, then rack.

Thank you for answering that question. I really appreciate you reading my post and giving a good answer. :ban:
This site is great but it's often difficult to get folks to actually address the question instead of repeating "don't worry about it", even after clearly saying "I'm not worried, just curious."

So if my apartment sucks and temps fluctuate between 60 during the day and 70 at night, should I give my doppelbock longer than my scheduled 6 weeks in primary?!

Is the three week rule based on active fermentation (bubbling airlock), or disregarding the noob rule for yeasts such as WLP 820 (a very slow starter), is that three weeks post pitching? I'd like to rack mine after 3-4 days with constant hydro readings at 45 iF, but I'd like to know where the timeline typically starts. Any clarity on this?

Is the three week rule based on active fermentation (bubbling airlock), or disregarding the noob rule for yeasts such as WLP 820 (a very slow starter), is that three weeks post pitching? I'd like to rack mine after 3-4 days with constant hydro readings at 45 iF, but I'd like to know where the timeline typically starts. Any clarity on this?

Time isn't as important as your hydrometer reading. I use the hydrometer to know when fermentation is pretty much done, then I typically let it sit for another 5-7 days. However, I never even begin checking my gravity until the beer has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks. The beer is normally at FG at that time, so with the extra 5-7 days tacked on I get 3 weeks total in primary.

If I checked the gravity at 2 weeks and the beer wasn't at FG yet, I'd give it a swirl and wait another week before checking again. That's just me though, I'm in no hurry.
I should also clarify that this is the process that I have done with Ales. The California Common I mention in the first post is the first lager yeast I've ever used, but I'm still going with the same process unless I see something that makes me believe i should do otherwise.

Fishin-Jay, there's also the whole powdery vs flocculant strain thing. Powdery yeasts will float around a little longer and tend to attenuate more. Lager yeast tend to be medium flocculators, ie, a little powdery. YMMV.

Back