Not hitting final FG on a Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit ... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobohrau

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

So batch #3 for me was a Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit. I believe this was the recipe:

6.6 lb. Wheat LME, 1 lb. Maltodextrin, 8 oz. Chocolate Malt, 8 oz. Munich Malt, 5 oz. Vanguard Bittering Hops, 1 oz. Argentine Cascade Aroma Hops, and Munich Danstar Yeast (I found it on a website which used the same kit, but I'll double check when I get home)

After putting everything together, the OG was in the 1.052 area which was what the kit instructions said it should be. It was sitting in the primary in the basement which stays at about 64-65F this time of year. There was bubbling going on for probably the first week or so.

I was getting ready to rack it 2 weeks later, but when I checked the the FG, it was about 1.023 or so, which sounds pretty high to me. The kit instructions say that the FG should be in the 1.010 to 1.014 range. It smelled amazing, though.

I tried moving it into the laundry room where the furnace keeps things a little warmer, but after about half a week in there, I'm down to maybe 1.022 or 1.021. I'm finding that I'm not the first person to have an issue getting a Dunkelweizen down to the right FG, but I'm not sure what to do next...

So my question is ... what do I do? Leave it alone for 2 more weeks and see what happens? Get more yeast and throw it in?

Your FG is just an estimate, treat it as such. If the beer tastes good and the Gravity has been stable for a few days in a row then you're OK to bottle. Keep in mind that many extract beers will stop at 1.020, sometimes higher, due to the unfermentability of the extract, this is something you have no control over.

Back